Snapping not working at all

I am trying to extrude the ramp of the pyramid, and I have the edge snapping turned on, the magnet is enabled but when I move around the extruded face it doesn’t snap to anything. No snapping occurs at all. I am using Blender 2.78a. I also tried vertex snapping as someone suggested, that doesn’t work either. Why is my snapping not working?

Fixed my own problem, I didn’t have the “Snap onto itself” button selected. Wtihout that nothing snaps.

In case someone else has a similar problem, I had great difficulty reproducing the instructor’s illustration of snapping even on a cube. Googling only found other people with problem.

After about 30 minutes of trial & error (and reading manual) and trying things like toggling the “Snap onto itself” button, ‘closest’ option, all the various modes (vertex, edge, etc), I finally hit upon something that seems to work for me at least:

You MUST place your cursor over the target!!

This is completely counter intuitive when using G (transform) tool as we are not moving the target at all, but it makes sense if you think about it. You’ve already selected the object you want to move, but how does it know what object you want it to snap to? Once I slide my mouse over the target it snaps immediately.

2 Likes

@DellAnderson thank you! I have been stuck on the same thing for an hour, searching, watching the video 15 times in slow mo etc and was not able to work it out, came here to search and found your message \o/

OMG thank you so much! I was getting so frustrated because I could not get the cubes to snap. Problem solved!! Thanks again!!

Privacy & Terms