Snap to face doesn't seem to work

Trying to clarify how snap to face works.

Suppose I add a cube and tetrahedron to my scene.

face-snap2.01

I set snap to face, snapping to the closest.

Then, in object mode, with the tetrahedron as the active object, I grab it and move it around. The movement of each vertex of the tetrahedron is constrained to the plane perpendicular to the line of sight in that 3d viewport.

Constrained that is, until I drag the grabbed tetrahedron over a face of the cube, at which point, a little circle appears, indicating I think that the closest point of the tetrahedron is going to be snapped to that face of the cube.
face-snap2.03

Only, viewing the scene from a different angle shows that the nearest vertex of the tetrahedron hasn’t snapped to that face.

face-snap2.04

I thought that what Blender had done was imagine the plane through the chosen face, and snap to whatever point of that lay perpendicular to closest tetrahedron vertex. However, if I scale the face that I supposedly snapped to

face-snap2.05

and look at it from the right perspective

face-snap2.06

it hasn’t done that either.

Well, that’s all a bit complicated, but am I mistaken in what the snap functionality does or does it not work if you try to test on corner cases?

1 Like

I suspect what you are wanting and expecting it to do needs ‘align rotation to target’ checked too.

1 Like

‘align rotation to target’ does something completely different! As the name says, it additionally rotates the moved object.

What I’m wanting to do is understand exactly what it is that ‘snap to face’ does, without the additional complication of rotation. I can’t see how, in the sequence I described, the moved object is getting snapped to a face. To the contrary, on close examination, it’s not getting snapped.

Its positional as well as the face you are selecting.
Plus closest i find is not the best option usually i use center as then it snaps better.

It depends on where the object is also to where it snaps to. If you have the second object to the right and snap it to the fact that side it will snap outside the model, Although if you try this from moving from the left side and the same face it will snap inside the model.

I would suggest playing with all the options to get a clearer view on this :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms