Snake sculpting tool

I’m trying to make a tree with sculpting tool. But when using a snake sculpting tool i always end up making vertices like the ones marked on the image
tree.
After which making anything just turns to rubish bcs i get large flat surfaces

Should i just delete vertices or remesh at that point?

1 Like

I am not too expert at this one, but this appears when you stretch the mesh too much. You can remesh if you can (it does not work for me when there’s a hole), or just use the Inflate brush on thin structures before stretching them so that there are enough points in the mesh for this stretch. Otherwise at some moment a hole is created in the mesh and it becomes a mess instead.

Once I removed the end part in Edit mode and patiently filled the hole that was left, then could remesh and continue working.

Just in case it helps while someone with more experience can solve this! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

i dont create a hole and still a mess. Hence the infalte brush trick doesnt work :slight_smile:

Oh, no, there’s no need. Stretching the mesh too much ends up creating holes, or turning the normals inside out…

Here, see what happened to a cube with a poor mesh after you pull a bit. If you turn the option to show the normals, you see something like this:

The red part shows either mesh turned inside out or you are direcvtly looking at “inside”. If you look at it closely, you’ll find holes (see the same object from below).

Once I had one of these, and I removed the “broken” part, filled the single hole left and could continue working. But it was a bit of an overkill (too much time to be a good solution)…

3 Likes

You’re right. But there must be a better solution. I’m only trying to make a tree with 2 branches. I can pull one branch out from cube but when i try to use snake tool to get another branch it gets all them holes. Got any advice? I tried playing with brush size but it doesnt seem to work very well. Remeshing all the time works fine but i got lots of faces then. I can always merge them i guess but that is also prone to bad result.

1 Like

I think you need to understand the sculpt basics first!
For example, you dont start with a high mesh, but just building it up step by step.

1 Like

If you are following the Environment course, you’ll see that the mesh can grow while safely working with remeshing/dyntopo (the second is a good option to use for that tree part). But then you can use the “Decimate” modifier and it works very well to reduce the final mesh (a factor of 50 easily). This is also explained in that course.

4 Likes

Others, feel free to correct if your experiences are different, but one of the things I remember most clearly about Grant’s sculpting instructions from his beginner course is… this is actually what you’re supposed to do in the early stages of a sculpt. Overstretching individual faces in a particular area of the mesh is a cue to remesh immediately so you have more (and more even) topology to work with there, and that could easily mean a remesh every 3-5 seconds for a little while until you get the basic shape in place. I suppose this issue is the main reason for that.

Dyntopo certainly makes sense to me too, and that should greatly reduce the frequency of remeshing. Any jaggedness it leaves behind is also smoothed away pretty easily, especially if you’re just going to decimate it anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help and the effort. It seems that the issue I had is i couldnt turn on dynotopo by clicking on it and instead had to assing keyboard shortcut. Now it all works fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms