SM_Door versus Openable_Door_BP2

Not sure what went wrong here, but I got to the part where we added collision volumes to the Doors and the menus don’t add up. I’ve tried 4.22 and 4.18 (can’t get 4.10 to build properly from the current github project). In both options shows Edit Multiple Meshes instead of Edit SM_Door like the lecture video.

I don’t see a one for one in the differences between the two (see the screenshots below) to figure out how the collision volume is set with my current version of Unreal Engine. Anyone know why this is so much different between the version in the video?

Just asking because it is hard to follow along when things don’t match up.

It would appear that you have multiple actors selected. Select another actor and then the door again before right clicking.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. You raised something that should’ve been obvious to me (but I’m a beginner… so maybe not). I started digging and it appears that the Multiple Asset is due to the doors I have are not simple static meshes.

I didn’t realize that the SM in SM_Door meant static mesh. And the BP meant Blueprint.

They are Blueprint doors and it wants you to open them in Blueprint. This is the reason why there is no Collision menu on the editor. It’s a blueprint editor. What got me was when I opened up the editor to add the collision volume, there wasn’t a menu for it. The collision volume / blocking volume is done completely differently in Blueprint.

This really seems like something that is simple to fix.

What version are you using? If I try to do that with a blueprint it asks whether I want to edit the blueprint
“Edit BP_…” and not “Edit multiple assets” like your sceenshot.

1 Like

I tried 4.22 and 4.18. Same thing for each.

@DanM, what version are you using?

I imagine that it has something to do with how the header file for open door is setup. See Below.

As you can see above, it makes the door actions blueprint assignable. When you open this up in the engine, rather than allowing you to edit the static mesh directly the blueprint editable takes precedence.

I got things to work. For clarity and completeness, what I had to do was choose edit multiple assets. When the Blueprints editor comes up, search for static mesh under details. There is a dropdown button that is labeled Create Blocking Volume. The goal was to stop the player from going through the door so this was sufficient. See below (I also have the version of UE4 displayed).

Then I chose Normal Convex Volume as seen below. That was it. See below.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms