Size for assets?

Is there a list of sizes for the assets needed in Laser Defender or is it ‘Just go ahead’?

Thanks

Hi,

What sizes are you referring to? Actually, nothing depends on a specific size in the Laser Defender game. The only goal is to make the relevant things visible in the game window. The rest is up to you.

Did this answer your question? :slight_smile:

See also:

Hey Nina!
The size I am referring to is the game itself. Since it is not a regular screen size (16:9) from what I was able to gather but a portrait aspect ratio. I was just wondering about that ratio. Is it 9:16 or 10:16. Or generally if it is of importance.

Thanks

We develop our game with a fixed aspect ratio. However, that does not mean that other aspect ratios or resolutions were not possible. The best would be to think about your preferred target platforms. Then do some research on the most common resolutions. Design your game for the smallest screen so most of your future players will be able to play your game.

As you can probably imagine, there is no universal answer to the question what a good size is because it depends on the target platforms but also on the sprites. Some sprites work well on small screens, others don’t. This is something you will have to test. As long as you test your ideas on your target devices, there is not much you can do wrong regarding sizes. :slight_smile:

I won’t have a particular device in mind. I am just thinking within the frame work of this course.

All the other stuff is obvious and clear to me. Thanks… I’ll just go along with the course then.

Since this course caters to beginners, we don’t worry about aspect ratios and resolutions too much. In this section, Rick wanted to show you how to create a game for a different aspect ratio than the typical 4:3 one. That’s all. :slight_smile:

Awesome! Since that is what I (kinda) am that’s what I shall do.

I come from the asset creation side and work my way into programming from there. That’s why I was so meticulously concerned with it. (I also teach my students to always know your assets sizes before you start. You gotta practice what you preach!)

Thanks Nina!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms