Simple Room Inside corner issue

I assume we will cover this at some point later in the course, but I noticed with the simple block model that on internal corners the meshes intersect which would cause issues when rendering. I know I could move the wall along that axis by .25 but that might create other problems at the other end with detail at the edge of a wall.

1 Like

Hi Bevan_Calliess,

If your game will only inspect the asset from the outside this will be no issue since Z fighting is not visible. But if you are planning to let the camera to go inside then you will see this problem in game as well. The solution is to make corner piece what you will use to fill the corners. E.g Wall piece is 2.5m x 1.8m x 10cm and cornerpiece will be 2.5m x 10cm x 10cm. This will make with three pieces a whole 2.5m x 2m x 10cm. Setting the pivot point to the bottom corner allows you to use snap to grid in blender and in the game engines.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Jax

Thanks for the reply Jax,

Having internal and external corner pieces seems a reasonable approach. I just hope that if that is the preferred approach we cover how to texture map across the 3 pieces of the wall in a way that it would appear seamless in game engines like Unity.

No worries. Alternative way to do this would be to use a 45 degree miter joint. The problem with this though is that you might end up having more different type of pieces depending the layout.

You will eventually learn how to UV map your models properly and then you can use a seamless texture where you just place the pieces so that they look, well, seamless.

I personally like corner pieces since you can make them plain and sometimes a bit larger to give some detail to the structure. You can even use the corner pieces where you don’t need them due to Z fighting but more like a pillar or a decoration.

Cheers, Jax

1 Like

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods. At this point in the lectures, it is still a lean or low detail workflow so either method works fine.

I created internal and external corner pieces for my model as I intend to be doing both internal and external cameras, and want to apply different textures to the inside walls.

The instructor encounters these artifacts (overlap of meshes) in his own model.

Privacy & Terms