Side project: Obi-Wan's lightsaber

Hi,

I am still working on my orc, but I also try to do some side projects while doing the course. Since I am a big Star Wars fan I decided to model the lightsaber of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Let me know what you think of it.

5 Likes

Great job!
Did you know there are some tutorials on the web with some interesting techniques?

I’ve had these bookmarked for quite a while, and IIRC got through most of Part 1, but never got to play with Part 2. I can’t say it’s supposed to be Obi-Wan’s Lightsaber, but it is a nice looking one.

CG Geek - Create A Lightsaber Part 1 - Blender Beginner Tutorial: Create a Lightsaber - 1 of 2 - YouTube

CG Geek - Create A Lightsaber Part 2 - Blender Beginner Tutorial: Create a Lightsaber - 2 of 2 - YouTube

2 Likes

Looks an interesting object to be modelling. Is there a known design you are copying or can you just make it up?

1 Like

It is a replica of Obi-Wan Kenobi’s lightsaber from Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. I have a 0.45 scaled replica in my collectibles closet so I measured its dimensions and based my model on that.
I managed to 3D print it. See below a comparison of the real and printed model. A silver-colored filament would have looked better but it was just a test to see if the model is easily printable. I printed it in one piece, but I am planning to break up the model in smaller pieces for easier painting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the links to the tutorials.
The main goal of this exercise was to see if I would be able to model this without any help to improve my skills. It’s one thing to follow along with a tutorial or lecture, but you learn a lot when trying to figure out things yourself. But I will take a look at the tutorials to see if they show how to animate the lightsaber being turned on and off ;).

1 Like

Ah, it helps a lot to have an item in front of you when modeling it. Looks a very good match, good job printing too.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s much easier to have a real object than just a set of pictures. But that is going to be my next side project: model Claptrap from in-game screenshots.
Thanks for the compliment. It’s nice to have a supporting community.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms