Showing off material shaders

Ok so I have a little head start on materials having dabbled in other youtube tutorials.

Here’s what I did for ‘steel’

Honestly, it’s probably as easy to play with ‘metallic’ and the base colour, but since I found out you can get a nice effect by using the IOR (refractive index) of real materials to derive a specular value, I’ve saved a node group for quickly converting it. The Blender manual page has the formula, too.
There’s a nice little list of values here IOR / Index of Refraction List - Pixel and Poly

I’m fairly pleased with how my corrugated cardboard shader material came out, generating a normal map to fake a little depth worked better than my earlier attempt where it simply influenced the base colour along with my noise texture.

3 Likes

Fancy stuff. Why all the odd maths for the specular slider rather than just sliding it about!
Why a colour input node rather than just setting it in the principled bdsf?

Nodes are complicated enough without finding difficulties! :rofl:

2 Likes

The math nodes convert physical IOR values to the appropriate specularity and I use them in a group node usually, so it just looks like 1 node with an input value, I expanded it back out for illustration.

I only really had the RGB picker busted out for quick changing of value but I settled on black anyway.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms