Should I learn C++ in addition to Unity?

I’ve been using Unity for a little over a year now and have worked on a few small projects at this point. I even released a game on Steam last month. I’ve been wondering however if I should keep focusing on Unity or start spreading out to C++. I know Unreal uses C++ and many other companies use C++ without a pre-built engine.

To make my goals clear, I am trying to work my way into the games industry as a programmer, preferably more on the indie side. I would not be against gaining experience at a bigger company first however.

The main things I want to know are:

• Would it be advantageous to expand my skillset by learning C++ or would it be better to focus on further honing my C# skills in Unity?
  • If learning C++ is preferred right now, should I learn it through Unreal, without a pre-built engine, or both?
  • If learning C++ is preferred right now, should I learn enough to understand it and then choose which of the two (C# or C++) I like more and then focus on that, or should I continuously use both languages?
  • If learning C++ is not preferred right now, do you think there is a time where that may change or if there is something else I should try to pick up instead?

Any other thoughts or opinions are appreciated as well. Feel free to ask me any other questions if it would help you provide a better answer.

Hi JeremyZ

Thanks for the great question.
Its a very opiniated topic and i would suggest stick with the engine you feel comfortable with and the language you feel comfortable with too.
Most indie developers would be using Unity but you could well indeed learn both languages but consider it like learning French and German at the same time in the level of learning so you may find focusing on one at a time a little easier.

Learning the language away from the engine also can be beneficial as we have a C++ fundamentals course that uses a raylib library so its not using anything majorly large like unreal and focuses on the more on the code used than an engine per say.

Just wanted to dive in here and add a reply to see if that helps you at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that does help. Thank you! I’ve heard from a few others about this and sticking to what I know, especially since I’m newer, seems to be what most have said. The other main response I’ve seen is to try C++ without an engine so at least I have a base. Then to stick with whichever of the two I like more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms