Should I import assets into Unity or Unreal as a new environment artist

hello I am very fresh to game development and I am curious which I should learn for my Blender assets, unreal or unity?

I plan to learn blender and make my own artwork and import into whatever engine I end up using in the end. I would like to work for a studio eventually rather than make my own indie games, my dream is to work for an mmo as a level designer/environment artist. I just bought a Wacom Intous small for my sculpting within blender and my sketches in art class. I am starting community college this fall in august 20th 2022 to go after a certificate in 3d design.

Thank you very much

1 Like

There is no Blender file import in Unreal and Unity!
You need to export Blender files to a more generic file exchange standard. Then I think it doesn’t matter Unity and Unreal. Most people do have problems with the orientation of objects. In Blender z-ax is up. While in other packages it’s depth (front to back).
Also, special attention goes to using bitmaps as textures.

One extension is becoming more and more the interexchange standard format, between packages. I believe it is .FBX.

3 Likes

Unless you have a specific developer/MMO you’d like to work with/on, I wouldn’t get too hung up on which engine to use (I believe a lot of the existing popular ones will use their own proprietary engines, and Blender will likely export into compatible formats for most engines).

If you take the Blender Character Creator course, there is a little section at the end to give you a basic introduction to exporting the character to FBX, importing FBX to Unity, setting up textures/materials and animations. Although if you’re new to Blender it may be worth taking the Complete Blender Creator course first (not absolutely necessary, but may give you a good foundation to start from).

3 Likes

It is a wide ranging issue, and @ChrisBadger, @FedPete have made some very pertinent points.

I would not limit your basic knowledge to any one engine, or even just those two if looking to work in the commercial field. Unless targetting some specific company and you can find out what they use.
That will probably have to extend to other 3D creation tools used by the industry too.

3 Likes

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback. I will take my time and focus on one step at a time and my first step will be blender, I am taking the complete course since it said start here. I should learn more about how to break into the industry and such from my college courses. They even added an associate degree when it used to just be certificates so I may go after a degree. These gamedev.tv courses will definitely help me along the way. @NP5 @FedPete @ChrisBadger

3 Likes

Go for it! I find the courses here are generally very well put together, easy to follow and understand.

Even if you do get stuck with anything, there are some really active, supportive and knowledgeable students and staff in the Community, who are more than willing to help out.

I hope you enjoy the courses here and good luck with the college courses!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms