Sharing my first head sculpt!

Thank you so much! :heart: It took me more time to do the hair particle system than to actually paint the face or sculpt it haha

2 Likes

I heard a very interesting medieval, four-part harmony piece sung by a woman’s choir that reminds me of some “elven chant” that I had heard that were made for Tolkien’s Middle Earth. This in turn reminded me of your own elven “composition.”

So if you are interested, go to Nobilis Humilis. I won’t say my opinion on this one, for I would hate to “poison the well” with my spurious opinions.

It’s interesting that you mentioned it. My husband was reading Tolkien’s “The Children of Húrin” when I was deciding what face to sculpt. We talked a lot abut this book and Tolkien’s universe in general and it heavily inspired my project (as well as my last playthrough of Skyrim). I was listening to a lot of medieval music similar to this one while sculpting. In general, I’m into fantasy that’s based on medieval history as opposed to “clean” glamourised fantasy.

1 Like

I love the freckles.
Very, very nice freckles.
Meaty leaps. Just the way but … To symmetrical :slight_smile: Cracklings will never be the same.

1 Like

Impressive :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Thank you! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That makes sense to me. I like tolkien for similar reasons as you have mentioned. Some Fantasy novels, games, movies can get rather goofy.

I find him very inspiring in my own writing. Some influences have come not only from his Lord of the Rings books, but also “Tales From the Perilous Realm” compilation of short stories , especially his essay at the beginning, but I have some of his other writings pending.

Until next project!

1 Like

I’ve just been working on my model’s hair, I’m finding it very boring and time-consuming. I was really impressed with the hair you did, I must find out how to do it like yours, lovely work xxx jess

2 Likes

You have a cool style!

As you know I did my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes with a particle system but to be honest I think that making stylised hair instead would suit your character better. You can make it with bezier curves, it’s really fast and gives you a certain level of realism. If you don’t know what I’m talking about I’m sure you can find a lot of tutorials on that topic :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yes - I did use curves and paths to make some hair, when you do hair - like yours - is it time-consuming to render if you are going to animate it? xxx jess

1 Like

Yeah, it will take a lot more time to render because you will have to use literally thousands of particles. If you specifically want realistic hair that is not so heavy there’s also another way of doing it. It is common to use hair cards instead of particles because it is the most optimised and light-weight way to do realistic hair. I’m not an expert obviously but that’s what I came across when I was learning about hair on my own. Hair cards are basically made from particle systems: you create a few thick and thin hair strands and render them as an image with an alpha channel (transparent background). And then you create a particle system for your model and use these transparent hair cards as an object for your particles. Or you could just use extruded curves and texture them later with hair cards. It is very easy to animate and fast to render. You can read more about hair cards if you really want to make realistic hair. That’s what people usually use in games for example.

1 Like

This is amazing! I saw this and it inspired me to put more effort into my project. Your advice was very helpful. I have a drawing tablet and found the sculpting to be much easier with it, but you seem to manage very well without one.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m definitely getting a drawing tablet too because working with a computer mouse is just slow whether it’s sculpting or texture painting. Yeah, I think it’s a good thing to try and do your best even if it’s a small project, it’s all about practice at the end of the day!

1 Like

It’s very, very impressive what you achieve here. And that was your first sculpt! Great final render, great anatomy, great topology. Good job!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! :upside_down_face:

Privacy & Terms