Shadow flickering with viewport angle change

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me.
Since the start of the Blender course, I have had some weird shadow flickering happening, see screenshot below:

I am at the animated lamp section now, I cannot ignore it any longer as the shadows are a big part of this section. I have tried changing the clip start and bias for my light, however it looks mostly the same. Only when I rotate my viewport angle, the shadows flicker in for a few seconds during rotating.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Kind Regards

1 Like

This is typical Eevee behaviour. You could try turning on or off soft shadows and turning up the cube size for shadows under the render settings.

Another thing you try later on is to bake the scene lighting using an irradiance volume. This has various settings on it which you can toggle but you should basically scale it up until in encompasses the parts of your scene you want to render and bake lighting for.
There are various well put-together tutorials on Eevee lighting which carefully explain how to use these volumes.

I’ve not watched this video but CGCookie generally make very good tutorials.

2 Likes

Hi @Mark_Jackson,

Thank you for your quick response, appreciate it.
You were right, the soft shadows setting is the issue. The baking looks amazing, however I first would like to ensure I know my basics well before I proceed. I have taken a screen shot, showing the difference between the soft shadows turned of and then turned of.

Soft Shadows turned off:

Soft Shadows turned on:

I am using Blender 2.9.2.
From the tutorials, there seem to be a lot of shadow options that are missing in Blender 2.9.2. I cannot tweak my soft shadow settings at all. It is either off or on. As you can see from the screenshots, when I turn it on, my shadows almost disappear.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind Regards

1 Like

I think the option is gone because you don’t need them anymore. The internal Eevee calculations have been changed!

In Cycles the SIZE op the lamp determines the softness of the shadows. It probably works the same for Eevee. And did you know Eevee has also a sample setting, like Cycles! Higher Sample makes the eevee shadows softer. Ald if your lamp power is low the softness blends into the dark spots.

Also you can not compare the accuracy of Cycles with eevee! There is a trade off.

Thank you @FedPete

Playing around with the sampling and size of lamp in Eevee did change things.

Kind Regards

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms