Setting Up Destructible Meshes (Fractures)

Kinda going insane here, I’ve followed the tutorial many times, doing the same as the tutor and my physics enabled boxes won’t take damage from my gun and breaks when I drop it from a height it breaks as expected, sometimes it breaks when on the floor sometimes it doesn’t

This video shows the gun working and the fracture not working as intended https://youtu.be/v7-r8We7mmM

This video shows the settings I have for the static mesh (There is also a collision on it) and shows what happens when I try to fracture it https://youtu.be/ZFyr69G0j80

I’m at a loss because I know the tutor hasn’t added any Blueprints or turned any of these into blueprints. Any help would be appreciated, can make any vids or screens to give more context if needed, thanks.

EDIT: I’ve been searching online and a lot of people have been having issues with the fracture system in 5.3?

EDIT 2: Searched and searched and tried blocking all collisions on the gun firepoint and scaling it up and nothing. I’m gonna try to add another sphere on the weapon pickup blueprint tomorrow see if that makes a difference

EDIT 3: There is an issue with a collider on my player I can’t figure out.

1 Like

It seems like the line trace is hitting your box, but are you sending damage to that box in order to break it? Some of your video is blacked out so there could be something you’re trying to show that could change my response.

While dropping a fractured object with gravity should cause it to break on impact with something, shooting stationary fractured objects requires a bit more in blueprints.

I have a feeling that the tagged lecture for this post is wrong. But if not, the lecture labelled Setting up Destructible Meshes and its subsequent lecture outlines the process. Alternatively, there’s the documentation for chaos destruction.

There’s no mentions of blueprints in the lecture, what I’ve managed to figure out is that the fracture is working and the issues stem from my character pushing everything with massive force. Weirdly it affects the boulder despite no fracture but hey, this is the bigger issue right now.

Here is a SS of the Line Trace BP portion, again in that lecture there are no changes to that BP and assets dropped in, including the wall in the next section have no mentions of creating new BP elements, it seemingly just works when the tutor goes from fracture mode:

IDK what this player collider or physics is doing and you’re probably right about the line trace, but again the tutor shot the fractured items without BP changes.

Finally, this wall has anchor points to it, so it destroys as it should, the fracture works fine, shoot the barrel, explodes and then the wall fractures as desired, but without the anchor points it breaks instantly as soon as the game loads. Whether the anchor points are there or not, the wall section gets smashed to bits and the enemies fly everywhere when my character is nearby:

Appreciate any help.

I also have the issue that fracturing shot objects (either from damage or impulse) does not work, but fracturing from collision does. I tried a lot, making sure my BPs match what we see in the videos as much as possible, and also consulted Google, docs, and other forums. But there’s limitations to how much more I can try, as this project (gorgeous as it is) is very straining on my machine, and certain steps just take very long. (Right now I am struggling with the aesthetics issues in the next section - an adventure of their own.) I even downloaded Mike’s project from gitlab to see if that works on my UE version(s), but it is not of much value because due to missing assets it does not run without changes anyway. I started out with UE 5.1 and recently upgraded to 5.3, which did not change this problem, but helped with a different unrelated issue, so I am going to stick to 5.3.

It’s great to have learned how the fracturing should work, but with regards to the destructible wall I think I would prefer a different setup anyway. If I wanted to force the player to use the explosive barrel to get through, I would try to make sure that there is no other way, whereas currently we can shoot the wall down, too.

Long story short, I have a workaround for shooting objects to bits that is simple and also gets the job done: At the end of all the other things that happen in the graph for hitting an object, I added spawning an actor of a BP class that I made as a subclass of FS Master Field, with values adjusted so it is small and has 0 delay, at the hit location.

I might try to get back to attempting to get the original solution from the video to work (maybe starting with a minimal reproduction project for the problem), but for now my solution is ok.

Oddly enough, using FS_Master (or a child of it) is the intended process for triggering fractures manually like this.

We do cover this later in the course, though I cited the wrong lecture. When we use the explosive barrel to break down a wall and when triggering a bridge to collapse.

1 Like

Yes, the master field approach is shown by Mike in the lecture Anchoring and Triggering Explosions . The valuable improvement with 0 delay was suggested in this forum entry by @ryanlane.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms