Set Unity Preference Default to VS Code?

Every time I make a new project I have to reset VS Code as the editor… I did a search for how to change this behind the scenes and could not find an answer… even Unity apparently only tells you how to set it for each new project. ( This has to be a setting somewhere!? )

Mine’s set to always use Visual Studio and I don’t have to set it for each project. But then again, I only have Visual Studio available so it can’t pick anything else. I was going to suggest setting it in the preferences - which is supposed to persist across projects - but I think it may only be across projects per version.

1 Like

Ya that’s my problem. I want to use VS Code and NOT Visual Studio but every time I make a new project I have to reset it again.

Hi,

If you want to use VS Code, please follow the instruction on this website and make sure all required extensions are installed: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity.

Also make sure that you run VS Code and Unity locally on your internal harddrive, not somewhere else. Otherwise, it might be that your settings get lost. Do not save anything in the Desktop folder because that folder is managed by Windows. It is not uncommon that Windows deletes certain files.

If the issue persists: A firewall or an antivirus might also delete certain files.

See also:

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms