Serious compiler bug I can't solve. Please help

I’m a student of your courses on Udemy.

I cant get any of these projects packed with the windows packager.

I’m getting the following error.

Running Windows 10, VS 2002 Preview 17.10 and Unreal Engine 5.3.2
I also followed your suggestion from Daniel, and that still didn’t fix my issues. (Compiling issue. UE5.3 - #2 by DanM)
I recently upgraded from VS 2022 from 2019.
I have both VS 2019 and 2022 installed on my computer.

Here is the log that I’m getting with one of the projects with the Udemy course I own.

I hope someone can help me solve this bug I’m having as its now setting me back.

Here is the log

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Creating pak using staging manifest.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): DumpManifest: C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Unreal+Engine+Version’s+UE_5.3\PrePak_Windows_NonUFSFiles.txt, NumItems: 18
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): DumpManifest: C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Unreal+Engine+Version’s+UE_5.3\PrePak_Windows_NonUFSFilesDebug.txt, NumItems: 8
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): DumpManifest: C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Unreal+Engine+Version’s+UE_5.3\PrePak_Windows_UFSFiles.txt, NumItems: 8892
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): No matching platform for PakFileRules for Section ExcludeContentForMobile : Windows
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Using 0 pak order files:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Running: D:\Unreal Engine Version’s\UE_5.3\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealPak.exe “D:\Unreal Engine Projects\VS2022_Test3\VS2022_Test3.uproject” -cryptokeys=“D:\Unreal Engine Projects\VS2022_Test3\Saved\Cooked\Windows\VS2022_Test3\Metadata\Crypto.json” -patchpaddingalign=2048 -compressionformats=Oodle -compresslevel=4 -compressmethod=Kraken -platform=Windows -CreateMultiple=“C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Unreal+Engine+Version’s+UE_5.3\PakCommands.txt”
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): LogPakFile: Display: Parsing crypto keys from a crypto key cache file
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): LogPakFile: Error: Failed to read command list file ‘C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Unreal+Engine+Versions+UE_5.3\PakCommands.txt’.
PackagingResults: Error: Failed to read command list file ‘C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Unreal+Engine+Versions+UE_5.3\PakCommands.txt’.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): LogPakFile: Display: UnrealPak executed in 0.000465 seconds
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Took 0.53s to run UnrealPak.exe, ExitCode=1
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Command failed (Result:1): D:\Unreal Engine Version’s\UE_5.3\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealPak.exe “D:\Unreal Engine Projects\VS2022_Test3\VS2022_Test3.uproject” -cryptokeys=“D:\Unreal Engine Projects\VS2022_Test3\Saved\Cooked\Windows\VS2022_Test3\Metadata\Crypto.json” -patchpaddingalign=2048 -compressionformats=Oodle -compresslevel=4 -compressmethod=Kraken -platform=Windows -CreateMultiple=“C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Unreal+Engine+Version’s+UE_5.3\PakCommands.txt”. See logfile for details: ‘UnrealPak-2024.04.01-19.30.55.t
xt’
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool executed for 0h 0m 26s
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults: Error: Unknown Error

Going to suggest a few things here as this may help narrow down the issue.

First, try creating a UE 5.2 project as a test and try packaging it - the third person project is a good one to try.

Next, try a repair of your Unreal Engine Install

Lastly, if you can, upload the project to https://gdev.tv/projectupload but only if this is a course project. I can take a look (might be towards the end of the week) but I will get to it. I have a few to look at.

Hi @beegeedee

I did some serious debugging and I figured out the solution:

1. The Unreal Engine install directory path had ’ symbol in one of the words in the path.
    the compiler was stripping out the ’ symbol and creating an incorrect path.
    I uninstalled UE 5.3.2 and installed the version with the correct path.
    This fixed bug 1.

2. The second was the toolchain bug in VS 2022 17.9, which I followed Daniels solution.

The compiler is now packaging all my projects and I’m very happy right now.

Thanks for all your help mate as I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah. That makes sense. Basically unreal is unhappy about nothing other than letters or numbers in any path. It’s annoying and comes up more often than you’d believe.

I’m so glad you’re fixed now. Good luck.

Privacy & Terms