Sequence of moments - isn't that bit boring and predictable?

Hi,

I have played a lot of games and I see this “sequence of moments”- method used a lot. Example when traveling to some city in game there’s some NPC’s every once in a while which are giving quests to me and it’s always predictable that when I’m seeing a new NPC with a quest mark I’m pretty confident it’s related to the place where i’m traveling to.

I don’t know did anyone get the point? In my opinion basic sequence of moments during “tunnelrun” game is pretty boring and predictable. Example would like quest: “I know you are going to tavern, please give this cabbage to bartender and he will give you 10 gold coins”

Question for professionals: Is there other ways to make a game that is suprising the player and sequence of events would not feel as predictable?

I would think that a ‘series of moments’ is general enough that it could be boring and predictable. Or fun and new and exciting. It just depends on what those moments are! I think the point is to make sure your player is encountering stuff at regular intervals and not stuck with nothing to do for too long where they’ll get bored. But what those things are… that’s what it’s all about. If you write a quest to go pick a cabbage and return it. Sure, that’s boring. But a moment could just as easily be an Earth dragon erupting from the ground under your player’s feet and flying into the air, flinging your player back. And then after an epic fight, the tunnel it left behind could be the next area for you to explore. That might be more exciting and fun and maybe even unexpected. “Series of Moments”, I think, is more about pacing than it is about content.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms