Seeking to create a collaborative project

I’m 36 years old. After spending a number of years at university (and finding out that it wasn’t really for me), I chose to start an educational pathway in an alternative direction. I settled on learning more about video game development because video games have been a passion of mine throughout my entire life. I was fortunate to have grown up with Atari, Sega and Nintendo consoles, a commodore 64, and a 486SX.

I completed the first interation of the Unity Developers Course over a period of 6 months in the second half of last year. I also have progressed part way through the Blender course too, although I built a more solid grasp of Blender via youTube as I’ve branched out with skills. Further, I’ve also downloaded a number of assets from Unity to experiment with and have extended my knowledge somewhat by analysing the code in these assets. I still have much to learn though and I feel as though I’ve barely scratched the surface when it comes to building knowledge and competency in regard to video games development.

At this point in time I’ve developed several projects in order to practice my skills. They range from a simple pixel art 2D platformer, to project which was a little more advanced and involves procedural generation and 3D asset creation. While none of my projects are completed, all are in functional states.

I’d really like to start expanding my skills further in collaboration with others who have completed their courses, or with those who have made significant progress within them. I’d like to brainstorm a project to create from scratch with others. I’d like to volunteer my time and efforts to this project.

I personally do not know many people involved in video games development. I have read posts from others in here who are in the same boat. I have some anxiety issues that I’ve had to contend with and learn to manage throughout my life, and I’m an introverted personality type, so it hasn’t always been easy for me to meet a lot of people who share common interests. I feel as though a number of people within these forums may relate to that.

So anyway, if anyone is interested in getting to know others in here and if you’re also interested in working on a new project to further expand your learning, it would be nice to hear from you.

Cheers

Leigh

Hi Leigh; I’ve got a similar past hardware wise (I smiled at the c64 and 486SX).

I’m just about finished with the Blender course and loving it. After that it’s Unity, then After Effects, and a course to up my skills in 2D digital art/character design. I’m a huge fan of CRPGs. Game wise I’ve got a lot of not ready for primetime prototypes, done in Construct 2.
We might be able to get a discussion going - you can see some of my digital work here. Drop me a line either through dA or here if you’d like.

Hello,

I’m 41 years old, live in BF Arkansas, and I’m currently using Godot for my first project. I’m working my way through the Godot course and learning programming as I go. I definitely have trouble meeting people with common interests, if only because of the area I live in. The good thing is there’s plenty of avenues for learning and talking to people online. I use Discord, if anyone else does we could set up a chat group there or feel free to message me here.

Privacy & Terms