Seeking Guidance for the Next Steps in Game Development

Hello,

I am a graduate of computer science last year, and during my time at university, I had started developing small game projects. However, due to various problems, I was unable to focus on software development for about 1.5 years. Now, for the past 6 months, I have been working on game development again. I am volunteering at a company and also own the Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D and Complete C# Unity Game Developer 3D courses from the Game Dev team. I have completed the 2D course and am now working on the 3D course, which is almost finished.

However, I am unsure of what my next step should be. Unfortunately, I don’t have many people around who can mentor me or give me advice. In your opinion, what should I do next? Additionally, are there any courses you would recommend that I could take for the next stage in game development?

Thank you!

1 Like

I can’t offer much in the way of Unity guidance, but I’m going to recommend you check out our Discord server for this sort of guidance. You’ll find a wide spectrum of people there, so if you ask in the appropriate channels on the server, I would expect you’ll get a variety of useful responses from different perspectives. There’s a link at the bottom of the course site, under the Community heading:
https://www.gamedev.tv/

2 Likes

Before taking any step further, I highly suggest you decide where you want to go, and if you don’t know that, then take your time to experiment, Would you like to be a solo dev? Work at a triple A studio? Small indie studio? Freelance work? Why not try all?

A lot of people might tell you that trying all is a waste of time, but sometimes you need to experience things first hand, in my case, it took me 2 years to realize I didn’t like working at a studio, so I’m about to leave and go full solo because that’s how I actually enjoy making games.

As for courses, well… again, it depends on what you are trying to achieve and your knowledge, since I’m self-taught, pretty much any course I take is a great addition to my skillset, but it might not be for you, take your time to know yourself.

That being said, check my Udemy profile, I have over 100 courses, and almost all of them are great. I’m not saying you should buy all of them, just take a look and see if any of those courses interest you. I personally highly recommend Penny de Byl’s, and Sam Patuzzi’s courses.

Oh! Almost forgot, welcome to the community! Don’t forget to share your work since you already took two courses, sharing and getting feedback is a huge part of game dev, perhaps, the most important one.

https://www.udemy.com/user/miguel-angel-yee-rebollar/?key=subscribed_courses&subscribed_courses=9

3 Likes

thank you for your responding I will definitely check discord

1 Like

thank you for your responding I will check the courses

1 Like

Which is a blessing and a curse.
Thanks to Discord I’ve met a few wonderful people who helped me a lot, but I’ve also met many more cursed people who almost destroyed my dreams.

Overall, Discord is a Social Media App engineered to grab attention and make you waste time.
Even if you’re disciplined, it’s like fighting against a team of psychologists who’ve been working for years to develop an attention grabbing and time wasting app.
You might be at risk of acquiring Discord Addiction which I did and fought hard to quit trough blockers.

GDTV’s Discord Server is one of the best and least toxic GameDev server out there, but it’s still not free from toxicity. There are definitely rude and controversial users, fighting and poor advice. Do not take their words as endorsed by the official GDTV Team.

These forums are much more professional as verified GDTV Teachers have the louder voice here.

Privacy & Terms