Section 4 - Low poly Knight

That was rough, but interesting.
Decided to build the neck out of a cylinder, some loopcuts to sculpt the shape and thickness of the neck. Sculpted the head out of a sphere, and extruded the front (nose/mouth) part, some extra subdivisions to mold the mouth and give it some shape. I ended up filling in triangles to connect the back of the head to the top of the neck - maybe not the most elegant solution, but I think it works. Hair along the back of the neck was made by squishing the edge of the cylinder and then “booleaning” out with arrays of triangles. It was nice to be able to duplicate an array, rotate and increase/decrease number of array segments, throw it into a collection and apply it as a boolean modifier with a single click.
All in all spent about three hours - when I look at too many vertices, everything blends in my mind, and I have to take breaks lol
Was challenging, but I like the result!
@fabianlobosar @NP5 Thanks for sharing your experience and mentioning that modifier order matters! I did not run into any issues, since I made sure to test my changes to ensure everything was working as expected.

5 Likes

Well, you have a result and it looks very knight like. But perhaps watch how Mikey did it? It seems very much harder the way you describe.
Notches in the mane look good though I feel the topology is probably messy.

The eyes and nostrils, mouth look great.

2 Likes

Yeah, I intentionally do the challenge first to hopefully learn where do I overthink the most.
The mane topology is not that bad if you delete the notch object. Notch itself is an array of cubes collapsed into triangle shape. I’ll post a screenshot when I’m at my workstation next and would love to hear your opinion. And surely I’ll compare it with Mike’s solution.

2 Likes

Well, you were right LOL I definitely should learn to take advantage of extruding from an existing object some more. Though now I am really proud of the mane and some shapes on the head - I think I am still technically low poly LOL
Here is the mesh of my knight. As I said mane is just collapsed side of the cylinder with cutouts. Let me know, if that makes sense to you.

2 Likes

Blender has a great way of interpreting object mesh data.
If I look at your neck hair, it has a face with a lot of vertices.
In the future, you should try to avoid these faces with more than 4 vertices.

For now, it is good.

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn’t sure about that part, if it’s creating too many vertices or not. I’ll keep that in mind next time!

1 Like

No, it is not about the number of vertices (just fine).
But good topology, the way the mesh is created, is based on quad faces.
Then you are able to add more edge loops for details.
Which results also in quad faces.

You will learn in time. Just enjoy the course.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms