Section 3 - Bowling smash with shadows

Really would like to hear your opinion, guys. From what I can gather, Evee is a good render solution for a regular laptop/PC. In a broader sense how valuable is knowing its ins and outs?
I found myself really struggling with how to appreciate a good/bad shadow in this bowling scene. When rendering with Evee, it looks imperfect no matter how you slice it. I can appreciate shadows giving sense of dimension and distance between the objects. I guess I don’t really care about bowling, and more or less ok light and shadow seems fine by me.
I would like to hear from you guys, how do you approach lighting and shadow, if you don’t have a clear picture in your mind, and there is no good reason to sink too much time in it?
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Same scene with reflections. I like it much better!

1 Like

To make really good (Cycles-like) renders, you need to spend more time in Eevee!
Because Cycles calculate light paths. And in Eevee you need to tweak every parameter it has.
And also understand what Eevee properties these do. I’m using Eevee a lot, but some things are difficult, so I try not to rely on this things heavily. Like glass.

Blender Guru has a video’s on ArchViz with Eevee. very informal and very good results.

The lighting aspect is important for Eevee and Cycles. Watch out for the three-point lighting section.
In Eevee you need to set additional parameters and options to get better (than default) shadows.
Ambient inclusion, size of bitmaps, increasing render samples , shadow behaviour of lamps …

1 Like

It depends. Like so much. On what you want the end result to be. Personally Eevee is just for faster viewport idea of what it will look look like, everything I end up rendering is Cycles. If you want to do animation then the speed of Eevee will be more important and mean it is worth getting to know and understand it.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms