Section 2 - One more practice before moving to section 3

Last practice piece before moving on to section 3 and the bowling scenes.

Decided to re-create a USB stick I had lying on my desk. Managed to get smooth shading working on this model and am overall very happy with the results. I think that the actual USB connector dimensions are slightly off - either too wide or too low but it is not the end of the world.

Rendered in Cycles with a 3 point lighting setup.

As always, any feedback would be awesome.

9 Likes

Okay now this is cool. Only suggestion I have is to add shadows and mess around with lightning.

1 Like

Nice job. As you say proportions a little off, as it was in front of you, you could have measured it. Also the corners need beveling, softening. But you may not have covered that yet in the course.

1 Like

Thank you for this advice and feedback. I am still trying to get my head around good lighting setups. I will have another play with the lights and see if I can introduce some better shadows.

Thank you as always for the feedback. To be honest, I didn’t measure anything at all for this project. I know I should have but I just created everything from 2 default cubes so the USB sticks are actually almost 9 metres long :rofl:

Massive USBs

We covered bevelled edges in the next section for the bowling ball finger holes so will be softening some of the edges around the connectors. At the moment, the casing is shaded smooth with loop cuts controlling the edge sharpness and the connector is shaded flat.

Planning on updating this model today or tomorrow to soften the sharp edges and have another play with lighting so will take some measurements and try to sort out the scale and proportions at the same time. Will post my results once I am done.

1 Like

Have re-sized the model now so it matches it’s real world dimensions. I have also re-shaped the connector to the correct dimensions and added a bevel to the corners as recommended by @NP5.

I think that the result is far better than my original effort and am sharing it below:

I spent ages trying to figure out a lighting setup and am still not completely happy with it but I think it is as good as I am going to get it for now. I used a 3 light setup and 1 extra sun light.

Happy Blendering to all :smiley:

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms