Section 1: final challenge "Alchemy table"

I only used primitive shapes but I did play with colours and textures a bit more than I was supposed to. I was actually surprised to see how much I was able to create by just transforming and scaling simple objects. This time I was mainly using shortcut keys. I hope that with practice I’ll be able to remember them better.

The idea was to make a fantasy style alchemy table so most objects were not meant to be realistic. Nevertheless, I think I failed to deliver the fantasy mood so it ended up looking just like a table with weirdly sized objects on top of it. Next time I’ll pay more attention to the overall composition.

Thank you to everyone who took a look at it! Always open for constructive criticism :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Phenomenal job :100::exploding_head:

1 Like

I think only the floor color and texture is killing the fantasy mood a bit, otherwise I like the choice of colors.
And about the broken glass on the floor - it’s an OSHA recordable, better fix it lol

3 Likes

Nicely done especially with simple tools in an early part of the course.

So much more to come you will make such scenes much more realistically later.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! :grin:

1 Like

I made wood texture early on and by the time I finished my model I didn’t want to waste time making background textures. Leaving the table floating in the Blender abyss didn’t feel right either so I just made a random choice for the background! :smiley: Thank you for the feedback!

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

you could use the bevel keyboard shortcut- ⌘b, to get a less hard- angled object, xxx jess

Good job on the project- now you have an asset to use and/or modify for later projects.

You certainly have an eye for style.

The Shortcuts will come over time. If you continue through this course, you won’t even be thinking about the shortcuts they will become so natural. I am close to being done, and I find that this is the case.

The floor and walls can be handled by making them more woodlike- making separate rectangle shapes to create them. But it is better to move on and get more skills and practice. There is nothing to say that you cannot use this as inspiration later on: you could have a chess board in the chest board section that features the alchemists bottles instead of the usual figures.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Wow this is amazing! just curious how long did it take you to finish this?

2 Likes

I just tried to stay true to the challenge which was to slap primitives together in object mode. That’s why I didn’t use any editing tools. But you’re right it would look more polished this way! :grin:

2 Likes

I’m so glad to hear that about shortcut keys! I still occasionally forget them but such things always improve with practice so I’m not too worried about it now.

I have a bit of experience with textures. I prefer to make my own textures but I just didn’t feel like this project was worth investing that much time. If I had proper walls and floor I’d feel obligated to fully decorate the interior, and then I would have to spend more time shading and texturing everything… that’s just the way my brain works. So I stopped until it was too late and threw in some random walls and an ugly green carpet :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much for the feedback!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! It’s really not as complex as it looks. I mirrored the table and simply duplicated most of the decorative items. I think it took me around 2-3 hours but I’m sure an experienced Blender user could do it in under an hour :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Still tiny amounts of time. One can spend weeks easily.

Old work.

2 Likes

Your work is amazing! I love your alembic, and the way you shaped paper. What part of the course did you make it for? Did you have any particular reference?

3 Likes

It was from my modular construction in the old 2.7 course. But I got wayyy too bogged down in over ambition. I made what was intended to be an alchemist’s tower, rather than follow the course item. I was also trying to light the room from a cupola, which never really worked. Furnishing it then became lots of work/time. I spend whole evenings and more just trying to find a reference to what period bellows might have been like. The tiles alone, researching medieval encaustic tiles took weeks. Overdid the modeling rather than being satisfied with a simple image. It is still my weakness lol. Prefer to model rather than ‘cheat’ with a quick and easy effect. At least after that, I became more aware of it. So, I had most of the items already and just worked on it a bit more for that collab entry.
Early days, lots learnt if never came to any finished result.

oldproject

1 Like

I totally get you! I tend to do way more than I am supposed to, and it’s easy for me to get obsessed over some details. That’s why I try to stay true to challenges in this course, and not go overboard lol

2 Likes

I say that with every challenge and project- but I don’t think I have actually reached that goal yet…

Even as I type I am still working on my “final” modular scene…

I am like @NP5, except his models look better :+1:

2 Likes

I love this, really nice detail on the table along with all the other objects on top of it. I also like the little detail of the bottle of the floor, very nice touch :slight_smile: :+1:
brilliant work on this one Cathy!

1 Like

Thank you so much! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms