Sectino Two Final (Shark)

There was a trouble with fins, seems to me that i didn’t apply changes and joined objects ( I thinks so), all normals are face up, don’t know, what it might be

3 Likes

Nice Shark! :fire:

1 Like

Can it be you have axidentally created duplicates?

Or errors in the extrusion process. Like pressing ‘e’ to extrude, but also ESC to cancel?
In that case you didn’t cancel, the extrusion still took place, on the same spot and therefor invisible.

1 Like

Or perhaps those on the fins which are showing yellow have not been properly joined. If it’s either of these things, you would be able to fix it by this process:

• go into edit mode
  • “1” (not “numpad 1”) to go into vertex select [this step may not be necessary]
  • “A” to select all
  • “M” -> “by distance” to removed duplicate vertices

If it removed any duplicate vertices, you should see a message near the bottom of the window that said “X vertices removed”, X being however many duplicates there were. If it says “0 vertices removed”, you could try increasing the distance of your “Merge by distance” ever so slightly to see if that does anything.

But be careful. This may merge other vertices that were close together that you didn’t want to merge, so pay attention to that, and don’t increase the distance too much.

Nice shark BTW :smiley:

@Tyger2, @FedPete, thank you! I tried these steps as well. The problem, I think I’m close, was in the way of constructing these things. How I made fins: made a cube a merged vertices by center so that there’s only one vertex. Then I extruded this vertex in a way of a contour around fins. However, when you fill edges, there’s only one face and N vertices, any edges added between opposite vertices don’t guarantee that they create a new face. As a result - several edges on one face.

1 Like

In the beginning, when you try “free design” meshes, its difficult to find a working procedure or steps.
Because in Blender it can not go wrong, but the result in your mind is mostly not what Blender shows.

Don’t be afraid to experiment. We have all been there. Keep in mind that. Two vertices creates an edge. Three a face. Pro’s like to create faces of four vertices, just for ease modeling. But not required!
And don’t forget a face has only one visible side, where the normal lives. Because a face has no thickness!!

You can give a face a thickness, by extruding it. Or using the solidify modifier. Which is just a smart extrusion process.

Have fun, show us more organic models!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms