Scale Question

So, one of the lectures discusses the scale of models, and how to scale things up/down in Blender. But doesn’t this heavily depend on what objects will be in the scene? I mean, if you have a 400m long oil tanker, it’s a completely different deal whether it’s a distance scene passing under a 3km bridge, in which case you’d want a kilometer/hectometer scale, but if, say, it’s a bunch of people standing on the oil tanker, you need more of a meter scale scene. And since these scales don’t convert… you can make additional models, sure, but at that point you’re still making very large/small models.

What exactly is the problem with large models, anyways? Is it just the camera clipping issue… I mean, very large numbers could cause floating point imprecision, I suppose, but unless you’re building a scale model of the universe… Would it be practical to model objects in their own scale and then Object Scale them to the desired magnitude?

I’m also wondering the same thing.

Obviously it’s more about keeping to the same process every time you model to prevent incorrect scaling in models, I’d hate to have to go back and rescale everything because I messed up somewhere down the line.

also, you’d want the level of detail to match if you are making several models for a scene, some things might be over detailed and others under detailed if you do not follow a proper scaling regime.

and it’s also about reducing the poly count as much as possible without affecting the overall detail… and higher scale would probably make it harder on your CPU…

Considering all the factors before you begin modeling, and sticking to the same method of scaling while you are modeling, is very important and speeds up the process by preventing any mishaps.

I’m guessing you can use any scale you like so long as you keep to the same formula for all your assets.

Privacy & Terms