S05-L112-Adding bones

Hi Again,

Added the bones for my lamp.

Grtz,
Ray

That´s a nice looking lamp. A complicated to rig by the looks of it. Nice job!

Hi Mark,

Thank you.
Yes it is complicated, and looking at your profile, you are the one that knows that, lol.
You just finished a beautifull lamp that matches mine lamp closests of all.
I am doing a simple lamp first, to get the hang of rigging and than i will start finishing this lamp.
I see you also needed some springs in your design.
I need four of them and found a tutorial ( http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~m_collett/blender/index.html )
Maybe you can share yours?
Grtz!

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the nice comments. I´ll try to describe what I did for my springs for you.

I´ve just made a diagram but it´s late so I´ll leave it here for now and continue tomorrow

Between steps 5 and 6, you´ll need to duplicate those three curves and move them up the Z axis then then create the 4th curve (between 3 and 5) by clicking on the centre of each curve and pressing “F”. Once you have a few you can quickly duplicate your curves until you have a long spring curve.

Creating the bevel of your curve can be done by using a bevel circle which is used for determining the thickness of your spring and can be changed later if you need a thinner spring or thicker spring coil by just scaling it.

To attach this spring to your mesh, all you need to do is to first, set a bone which you´ll use for your spring in the right place and assign a parent for it on a pivot point where the spring will turn so it can mimic the rotation of a parent. Second, you might need to add another bone for which the spring will need to stretch to.

Use the stretch bone contraint on the bone you´ll use for your spring and have it stretch to the target pivot bone.

Then move your spring into place along the bone you assigned the stretch to. Then assign the stretch bone as a parent to the spring.

I´ll link the video I used to do it too to help you.

Need to go to bed but I hope that helps and I´ll describe it better when I get more time with a diagram of my lamp too to show you how I rigged it

2 Likes

Hi again Mark,

I think this will do it, thank you.
in 2 weeks i will give it a try.
(out of time right now)

Thanks again and i keep you updated.

Grtz,
Ray

1 Like

Privacy & Terms