RPG Kickstarter- What ideas being voted on could be incorporated in to it?

I was looking at the list of ideas we have, and realized a number of them could be incorporated in to the KickStarter. Rather than just collect them all on my own, I thought it might be a good group exercise. Bottom line, what suggestions do you think could be incorporated in to the RPG kickstarter?

My list, in no particular order:

Great Fits: (Mostly fits under the Kick Starter, core content or stretch goals.

Weak fits, but still worth considering. (Might make good stretch goals)

More items:

Great fit.

Weak fit:

What an awesome list, thanks guys. We’ll review this early December when I’m back from Germany, and merge votes as required.

@Instructors note Ben’s very helpful merge suggestions above. I think the time is ripe to go through this list and decide what will be merged.

1 Like

FYI, my thought is many of these could be classes in the RPG class series, possibly combining a few of them together.

For instance, How to Generate Good Ideas and Building and Indie Game from Scratch would both be good starting topics, with a focus on RPG. Most of the Blender/ 3D modeling/animation could be in a single class. The sound effects would make a good third class, with Rick and Mickie working together? Along side the blender course could be making a 3d isometric tile hex based mini game, except of course it would be larger than a minigame. Making it pretty could include basic Shader modeling, as well as camera settings. A final class could cover optimization, and making it work with Steam, at least as much as you can without an NDA.

I’m sure you have an outline that’s more detailed than this one, but I would encourage you to look at the list of courses included above and see if the curriculum could be tweaked slightly to kill two birds with one stone. Might help to advertise the class a bit more too!

Hi Ben, Happy New Year.

We have a 2020 vision now, consisting of 9 beginner courses to teach the fundamentals. They don’t exist yet of course, so this RPG is being built a little early.

This means we will have to assume a lot of knowledge in the RPG course. The entire game will be built on-screen, however we will supply and import things like…

• SFX, music, 2D art and 3D models
  • Some code covered in Unity course (e.g. level manager)
  • Play tuning matrices for the game design portion
  • Game design documents will shown, but not created
  • Business and marketing decisions will be discussed but not justified.

… this will naturally leave a gap for the beginner courses to fill starting 2018. We will build detailed syllabuses for this suite of beginner courses as we go, but no more beginner content than that. We already have to make a Steam game as a 4 man team in about a year AND make a 40+ hour course. Making the missing beginner content at the same time is impossible.

In the long term this RPG project will be amazing for all, it will be the teaching experience we need to make even more amazing content moving forwards.

Regards

Ben

1 Like

Privacy & Terms