RPG Bundle Question

I’m curious, do we at some point down the line get the RPG game to be able to put on and take off armor pieces like we equip & unequip weapons (like how the actual weapons show up in our hands and stuff like that) or should I go back and see how we did the weapon equip and do that for other equipment, like armor pieces and stuff like that?

If we do go over that, that’ll save me a bunch of time lol

2 Likes

We don’t cover this in the course, as there are several different (virtually all paid) model systems with which to work with, two of the most common being the Synty Modular Fantasy Hero, and InfinityPBR’s Humans, Elves, and Orcs series. Each of these systems costs a bit, and take different approaches to accomplish the same task.

An overview of what needs to be done, implementation neutral:

• The character is usually a collection of body parts rigged as models to the same skeleton. Changing individual body parts is a matter of turning gameobjects on and off in the character’s model heirarchy.
  • In general, you’ll want to create a special EquipableItem subclass, and in that SO, you’ll need to know
    • The gameobjects that need to be enabled
    • The gameobjects that need to be disabled
    • Any special color changes required for the object (so you can re-use an item to represent different itms just with different colors).
  • When Equipment is changed, the most sensible course of action is to set the character to the “default” state, and then foreach through each item in the inventory and enable/disable objects according to the information within the EquipableItem.
1 Like

Stats Equipable Item is an example of an Equipable Item subclass, right (just to point myself in the right direction)?

I have the synty packs (way too many of them, tbh lol). I’ll see what I can try and come up with to get this working! Thank you for the help!

1 Like

Yes, In my game, my heirarchy goes like this:
EquipableItem => SyntyEquipableItem => StatsEquipableItem
Synty’s structure is my favorite because each item is already in it’s own “folder” GameObject on the character… This lets me save the string of the category and a single number for each entry to equip. I also include category to disable (mostly useful for things like turning off the hair with certain helmets. I also rigged my script so that if I equip an item in one category, anything else in that category is automatically unequipped as well.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms