Rocket Wont Thrust

Before I started this lecture my rocket was thrusting fine everything was ok, I then followed this lecture added the code now my rocket won’t thrust at all it won’t go up platforms moves fine but the rocket wont thrust anyone else have problems like this?

If you go into edit -> Project Settings -> Physics and change gravity from -9.8 to 0 and hit play does your rocket thrust?

Another student had a similar issue on discord and it turned out to be an issue with force/mass not being aligned after changes to the code. To solve it he had to either decrease the rocket mass or increase the thrust multiplier. Changing gravity to 0 is a good way of seeing this since there’s nothing to overcome and a little force still moves the object.

1 Like

Always worth checking the mass and thrust forces after changing things, also plane constraints can change. I had problems getting mine to fly at one point due to mass being different, but gravity at 0 would prove the code was working.

This happened to me when I added *Time.deltaTime to the thrust mechanics in the rocket script. I had to boost the main thrust value significantly to overcome the effect.

1 Like

Im having the exact same issue. Add the multiplier and it all went down hill from there. For some reason my numbers for thrust and rotation need to be WAAAAAY bigger to have the same effect as the videos

I am sure Rick will change in an upcoming lecture but I have a thrust of 1400 and it seems to work fine. Its to allow for the Time.deltaTime change which for my machine is around the 100ths of a second.

3 Likes

I also noticed that when I added Rick’s change in Rocket.cs that the thrusting stopped working:

// rigidBody.AddRelativeForce(Vector3.up * mainThrust * Time.deltaTime); // doesn't work
    rigidBody.AddRelativeForce(Vector3.up * mainThrust); // works

So I am keeping the change commented out for now.

Same issue. I had to change mine to 1500 for now. Added a tooltip to the inspector for reference though.

[Tooltip(“Keep the dials around 1400 to 1800”)] [SerializeField] float mainThrust = 100f;

1 Like

I found that the gravity settings had to be set to -5 as mentioned on the 1st post and the thrust would then have to be set to around 2200 and the rcs thrust to around 400. Hope this helps anyone

thx this fixed my issue change gravity and cloth gravity y to zero (:

Privacy & Terms