Robot Runner (a zombie runner game)

WebGL build: https://simmer.io/@Derek_G/robot-runner

I finally finished my game that started life as the Zombie Runner project for the Complete C# Unity Game Developer 3D course, going off in my own direction around the pro-builder section of the course.

I did 3 weeks of evening and weekend programming. Let it collect dust for a few months, then finally put in a fourth week of polish and bug fixing.

Like any IT coding project there was lots and lots of googling - for both the little things and the big things.

My biggest problem by far was the AI for the Enemy, which I couldn’t find any good guides on. It ended up being a rather complex state machine I rewrote several times. With the code being a mix of stuff I am both proud and ashamed of :stuck_out_tongue:

I eventually ended up with an EnemyAI that acts as a selector for more complex behaviour patterns like EnemyGuardAI and EnemyHuntAI. Each having several sub states of their own governed by enum types. If you were to visualize the code it would look like an animator or graph diagram. Calculate if a transition is needed, if a transition is needed, execute the transition, then execute the state frame by frame like an animation.

void Update()
{
EnemyState newState = StateCalcEnemy();
StateTransition(newState);
enemyState = newState;
StateExecute();
}

One thing I learnt from taking this course is: you need to put in your own time and practice, no one will do it for you.

1 Like

This game is amazing. It touched my heart really! I insist you to release it on PlayStore or AppStore! But my suggestion is to make it more harder by levels and add more rooms to pass through and give quick tips!

Thank you for the encouragement. I was going for a polished @Rick_Davidson core gameplay moment. I suppose you could consider it a kickstarter demo. It could be a full length game with a few months of work, play testing, and a marketing team.

But that’s a lot of work for a hobby and a tough market.

1 Like

:smiley:

Dang, this is awesome! Really polished and interesting. Would you mind if we used this video on our home page somewhere to show whats possible with a bit of time and effort?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. It would be an honour to be listed.

The polish also came from what I learn’t with the other projects.

Argon Assault was 2 weeks of work:

Realm Rush was 3 weeks of work:

I would love to join your team!

Privacy & Terms