Rigged by questions on Left and Right side

I am a little bit confused. In this lecture you named the bones differently than I would expect. The left side of the character is the opposite of the name of the bones you rigged to it. Is the naming convention for all rigging suppose to be as you look at the thing you are rigging? As I look at the CubeDube you have made the Left arms and legs are actually the characters Right arms and legs. This would be endless confusion for me to try and keep sorted. OR - Does it not matter just as long as everything on the same side of the rig is named with the same designation as right or left?

EDITED STATEMENT by Author!!
I went back and made sure the names of the arms were correct. This is the way Mike’s bones were named. I just wonder if it is a mistake or if it doesn’t matter or if naming bones if from the viewer’s perspective.

I havent got to this lecture quite yet but i wanted to post something here on this.
The way i was taught to know left from right on the body is to go by the heart.
Common mistake its in the middle but its actually off to the left side of your chest.

I’m not sure how Mikey has done it yet as havent got there but to me (and it might just be me) that the model picture above is backwards.

However i do believe as long as the naming consistency is kept it should not matter in the technical sense but it may get confusing when Mikey syas left and its your right if you know what i mean.

I’ll post back further on this once i have caught up

Edit :- Mikey is also active in the Q&A on the course and if i spot something as i go though i either answer it as a student or bug Mikey :wink:

Privacy & Terms