Rig issue following lecture

at 8:23 in the lecture Complete Rig, Basic human rig, for the animation course, Grant says to go into pose mode, and he moves the foot upwards, and it works just fine really. He is about to move on talking about what parent should be over the pole target for the knee, but when I attempted to do the same thing, my rig does not move correctly anymore, and it flickers badly.

I actually downloaded the model and basic rig from the last lecture. I did make the IK following the tutorial so far. Has anyone else run into this issue? Weirdly enough I also do not get the rig to line up correct when my pole angle is set to 90 or a multiplication of 90, it works at about 70 degrees.

I drew lines next to/on top of the parent relation lines. The spine goes to the hip controller, the hip controller and target go to the root bone.

When I move it upwards, my entire rig moves.

Grant moves on, and mine isn’t working, so I’m not quite sure what I’ll need to try and fix. The parent relationship has to be off somewhere for me.

2 Likes

The visible parenting looks correct. Just off the top of my head. Is the control bone that you use to move the leg cleared of all parents (except for relationship with root bone) as it should be? And what is the constraint you have on the foot bone?

2 Likes

Did you apply scale etc. to your model?

2 Likes

It will help to see full screen images.
But it does seem like the parenting is messed up somehow and might well be worth just clearing and re-doing.

3 Likes

You need to set the chain length to 2 on the IK constraint in the properties editor bone constraints tab. You have it as 0.

4 Likes

I had the exact same issue, and it was because I didn’t remove the lower leg bone parenting from the target bone.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms