Review 10/10 and Request Local 2 player Co-op

This course was fantastic, esp for a beginner who was stuck in the “tutorial hell” just following GameJam-esque tutorials. As a big fan of both JRPGs and XCOM style games this was right up my alley and I definitely feel like i actually started to learn and grasp a lot of the concepts presented. While I learned a lot, I’m still a beginner and haven’t made anything from scratch without following tutorials but feel ready to actually try to make my own game.

On that note: there aren’t many two player local co-op turn based RPGs out there, the only really good one that comes to mind is “For the King” Combat is classic JRPG turn based, but the world is a Hex grid movement system. And I’m looking forward to using what I’ve learned to make my own version of that game. To me Local co-op is a neglected, but untapped genre.

I’m definitely going to try to make all this on my own either way but would definitely appreciate and love to see the following:

Ask:

1. Local Co-op, turn based

would love to learn how to implement 2 player local co-op (maybe networking afterward). Something like “For the King”, where each player controls a character and once player ones turn end then player two gets their full turn. Would work in both combat (randomizing combat order) and world movement.

1. Separating combat initiation vs world movement

Enemies don’t move until you get into combat range then combat starts for that area and enemies “activate”, then when combat ends you go back to just moving around the map

1. Difficulty settings

How are they implemented, i have some thoughts on how: (Load more enemies based on your selection, enemy variants for each difficulty setting, more aggressive EnemyAI, etc…)

Privacy & Terms