Reverse engineer Resolution socket

What does the Resolution in the Trunk panel do? Where did it even show up? How to reverse engineer to which real noodle it is connected? Reverse engineering the instructor’s file seems not possible because when I Control-H the giant Group Input nodes, there are several Resolution sockets and, worse, in changing order, and there are neither Panels in Group Inputs, as they are in the N-panel, nor mapping from the N-panel to the node tree (through highlighting, through right-click, none).

I suggest unique naming of all group inputs, in addition to Panels.

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.
Also, if possible, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.

Hey Rafal-Mi,

The resolution in the trunk panel is the resolution of the ‘Curve Circle’ that gives the trunk its profile curve.
Theres a seperate resolution for the trunk, and each level of branch, since the smallest branches really don’t need a high resolution. But you might want the trunk to be higher so it looks round. The little branches can easily be 3 or 4 and still look ok.

As for unique naming, you can absolutely do that, it would be much more readable inside the node tree. But it would also take more time. I had to speed up and edit quite a bit of Node Group and modifier controls video because they would have been 45 mins+. And trust me, no one wants to hear me say “and we just drag this input to the group input, and we’ll rename this xxxxxx, and we’ll drag it into the xxx panel” 50+ times!!
But I can see how looking at the node tree and seeing 3 or 4 instances of the same name could be confusing. Apologies for that!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms