Return to the chess set (and to GameDev/Blender!)

Hi everyone!

I started the Blender course back in April 2020 and fell in love with it. I rediscovered my passion for learning, loved the community here, got completely immersed in Blender. I progressed through the course, trying side projects as I went, got halfway through the chess set and… stopped.

Through a combination of work getting busy and a total loss of confidence modelling, I stopped opening up Blender. I kept saying I would start it up “this week”, and incredibly nearly 2 years (!!) passed before I actually did.

Of course, I felt I remembered nothing. So over the past two weeks I’ve gone back through the entire course again, re-learning (and remembering more than I thought!), re-doing the challenges, and falling in love with Blender all over again.

So, here I am where I left off two years ago, halfway through the chess challenge and determined to see the course through this time.

With all that said, here’s my chess set so far!

I prefer the soft shadows for this render, but it took me an ~hour of practicing and tweaking with Eevee settings to get the hard shadows looking alright, so I’ll include them here too.

Excited to be back, it’s been great looking through the discussions again and seeing what everyone has been creating! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome back! With renewed enthusiasm. :grinning:

It is good that you remembered much of what you learned before, keep on going!

2 Likes

Welcome back! Great chess pieces.Love the reflections on the board and the pieces. Great job.

1 Like

Thanks Chris!

It took a lot of playing with Eevee to get the reflections. I still prefer Cycles overall, but the little “fistbump” feeling when you get Eevee to work is nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms