Retopology Triangles

Hey everyone,
So I finished manually retopologizing just the ogre body so far. My question is, are triangles poor topology? I only have a couple in my entire mesh, but I want to do it correctly. The second question I have involves finding a good tutorial on edge flow. I have looked a lot, but haven’t found anything that isn’t a walkthrough or just a general explanation of why we do retopology. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to smooth this mesh out in a couple of minutes, but wanted to show what I have currently.

1 Like

It looks pretty good to me.
The problem is there is probably no one answer. A lot can depend on the end use or style. Animation has its own interests for topology around joints so when deformed by bending the mesh cam move without creating angular distortions.

Topology needs to create loops for ease of manipulation, so can follow body shapes. Many times you just can’t avoid tris though.

Triangles are not good but poles to redirect loops are essential.

Human Female topology series Youtube Contains nudity.

2 Likes

Thanks for that link @NP5. I’ve never tried modeling a human figure, and that tutorial was done with Blender 2.6, so I should have no problems with my Blender 2.79. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! Is there a good tutorial on how to create poles correctly? I’ll check out the link you sent me. I managed to do nearly the entire head in quads, but like you said, tris were unavoidable in some spots. The toe edge loops gave me the most trouble. I’ll keep studying on the topic.

1 Like

Plan them up front. Not on part where a lot of bending is going to happen when animated.
If you want loops, try not to have poles. Like around eyes, mouth, fingers, elbows …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms