Retopology feedback please

Hi there! I’m on the retopology module now, I know the course will show me how to do this process automatically soon, but I wanted to take the time to try it myself since all I have to do at the moment is this course, might as well put some extra effort into it.

I found some retopology screenshots in google for orc faces, I was wondering if anyone here has more experience than I do, could you please give me some feedback? I’m pretty sure there must be some things I’m doing wrong.

I’ll post a pic of the orc w/o the ret mesh on it and annother one with it on edit mode.

Thanks in advance!

btw, I kind of lost myself on the horns part and did them alltogether with the rest of the body, so that’s why they’re showing there:/

Isy

3 Likes

Good retopology is something you do after much practice. There is no good or wrong but here are some tips.

• Try to have loops around areas of details, or deformations (elbows, eyes, mouth, nose …)
  • You create loops to add or reduce details in the process when needed.
  • Poles are not that bad, but place them at spots with low influence of deformations. And try to avoid them.
  • Try to keep faces squared
  • Increase details (vertices as in faces) on spots where details count in your model (ears, mouth) - That is why we use loops here, if you need them add an extra loop to increase details

There are more, but as a first-timer, don’t think too much about them.
Retopo is a difficult subject. Doing it by hand means you learn a lot and then understand better what auto-retopo can do for you. Mostly grunt work, and after that, you will optimize it more bij hand with the skill you’re learning at this moment.

2 Likes

‘Poles’ are spots, where 5 or more faces are placed together.
Like the color faces above. Where many colors come together.

1 Like

Things to note on FedPete’s images.
The even size of the faces and relation to detail, so smaller where more detailed.
And of course the flow of loops.
Mastering the change from more to fewer faces is also important.

2 Likes

All quads (faces with 4 vertices) still have loops.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms