Retopologized minotaur

Clocking in at 13k tris :o:

Some weird rendering glitches on the eyes, hooves…

6 Likes

Good job. 13k tris is quite low :).

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah I was hoping to keep it on the low side. I used a subdivided cube technique that I picked up on youtube rather than the voxel remesh or the professional method, I think it worked out pretty well overall.

1 Like

Do you have a link to it? I would like to check it out as well. (Edit: it = some video explaining this method you used for retopology)

I hated the topology produced by voxel remesher, but I wasn’t ready to tackle manual retopo yet. So I used quad remesher (just trial version, as it costs around $60) and it worked OK. Another tool I found, which might be of interest is this, but didn’t tried it yet. I think (judging by the object name) Grant used it for his muscular orc (blend file is attached to one of the later lectures).

On the topic of retopo, I will do it once by hand :stuck_out_tongue: . But I think (hope) it will not be needed in couple of years. Either h/w and engines will get much better or AI-based techniques will get much smarter (or combination of both). Still, nowadays it’s necessary skill if one wants to animate characters or import them into game engine…

I’m not quite able to find the video! In any case I don’t think the method was actually used, just mentioned in passing, and it seemed intuitive enough that I just tried what I thought it would look like. Basically building a cage around the character with extrusions and applying a subdivision and shrinkwrap modifier.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms