Retopo

Ok i just got a question, in dragon course grant just used the Quad Remesher to decrease the poly to rid of that thousands faces , and he added multires modifier to have more faces to add more details (2nd level of deatils), why he didnt add that detail in first mesh with remesh?we just decrease poly and then increase with multires to add detail.
or we could have that lowpoly (retopo of dragon) and continue sculpting in same hp dragon with remesh and bake it to lowpoly instate of adding multires
3. Retopology & The Multiresolution Modifier 11:50
to be clear i just ask my question in another way: after sculpting we have a dragon with 600.000 faces , now we want to create lowpoly (doesn’t matter manual or with addon) and when we got lowpoly one he added multires to copy of that lowpoly to have more face to add more detail like skin and etc…why just dont use that original high poly we have already?

1 Like

It’s a good practice to use a multi-res modifier because then you have the possibility to make changes in the model’s basic (lower-res) shape. Very difficult if you have only a high poly model.

Also, showing different types of techniques is just a teaching tool. You can achieve, in Blender, a solution in more the one way. There is no good or wrong here, only efficiency and end goal, like your last question “Why have a low and high poly model?”

Basically, you only need the High poly model to achieve beautiful artwork in Blender.
But the higher your vertex count, the harder for your hardware to handle it. Sculpting is such a thing. Or render times will increase massively.

If you need the model for 3D-Print you need a high poly model!

For gaming, you need as few polygons in your model for a fast-moving 24fps shooter or even more fps
But low poly means, low on details. That’s where the high poly can help. High poly details can be baked into bitmaps, to map (render as in rasterize) the high details onto the low poly.

Which results in a low poly and an object for fast calculation (render engines Unity, etc.) with nearly the same details as on the high poly model. This is the way to render animations or fast-interacting games.

2 Likes

yes i understand what you mean. i always retopo my mesh after sculpting , what i do or even what i see in other courses they just sculp once and then retopo and then bake to add more fine detail, but what grant did in that course was abit confusing , first he sculpted then retopologized and then duplicated lowpoly one and added multires, my question is why he didnt keep working on that highpoly one he already had. you say its only because show us technique?

1 Like

I think Grant did it that way as it is lighter on the computer to use multires. He already had several million faces on his HP so to go finer in resolution for finer details would be demanding of his computer. Now I would not sculpt to start with. But proper block model the shape with good topology, so getting the ‘retopo’ in first. Then multires to sculpt. Then you have a good topology LP from the start, adding the details onto the higher res of the mulitres.

2 Likes

yeah i was thinking same but i was not sure i think as he said the computer can handle million faces better in multires , my computer died in 18million faces with remesh but with multires was ok.
thank you and Fedpete to post your comments :pray:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms