Resize in blender

Hello everyone,
Could someone please tell how to resize only in one direction (x,y,z) . Because it is very annoying when you resize your mesh, it’s size is increases equally in both direction for e.g (x -x) , (y -y) , (z,-z) .

Is there any shortcut to control that?

Waiting for response.

Thanks.

Just press S for scale, and then X or Y or Z for any given axis. Or, if you want to scale on two axes, you use shift + X to exclude the X-axis (that is, you’ll scale on Y + Z). Or shift + Y, to exclude Y, and shift + Z to exclude Z.

2 Likes

Or you can use the gizmos or the numerical entry boxes. It is all this very early lecture is about really.

1 Like

Thanks, But I know that, problem I am facing is , when you try to scale it in any direction, it increase or decreases in both (x -x ) (y -y) (z -z) . Means in both direction from center on single axis.

So is there any shortcut for that?

2 Likes

Wait, I misunderstood your question.

When you want to scale in only one direction (out of the six possible), you need to either change the pivot point to the 3d marker, or you need to change the origin point of your mesh to be at the bottom (or side, or top, as long as it’s the opposite of where you want to scale to).

Either 3d cursor or origin needs to be precisely on the edge of the mesh, or the mesh will still move in an undesired way.

2 Likes

Yeah, I misunderstood. Look above :slight_smile:

1 Like

You need just to go through the course, all this sort of thing is covered in a timely manner, and demonstrated far better than others can type explanations!

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

2 Likes

This is the problem I am facing, I thoroughly understood Transforms from the tutorial, but it is something different.

Attached below is the screenshot of same, as the mesh is resized in both direction, I want it to just move in one direction.

For this, you will need to go to edit mode (“tab” on the keyboard) and select the face you wish to move. Press “3” on the keyboard (not the numpad) for face mode. Once the face is selected, press “g” for grab mode and move it in the desired direction. Let me know if this helps. I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

3 Likes

You’ll learn about this later in the course. You could find a way to work around your current problem - it’s always good to practice thinking outside the box - but if you are completely stuck, you can have a look at the later lesson, called Pivot Points. It’ll explain what I talked about up above.

Just remember to come back to where you are, so you can get the full benefit of the course and get a good grounding in the modelling process :slight_smile:

Edit: @3DE_Study has the perfect and much better solution :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Alternatively, size it and then move it sideways.

Really, just watch a lot more of the course, you are at lecture 4! What you want to do is basic and easy but you need to be aware of edit mode and pivot points etc.
You have snapping on too, which may be deliberate but might not be what you need and is not even mentioned for several lectures yet.

Please just watch the lectures they will explain these basics before you try to use them.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms