Render time with bevel, subdivide and shade smooth

hi
Im still not so sure about the need of low poly ,
so i did some play with render as Eevee and Cycle on same chess piece base we just did , but i duplicate it with array x10x10 so we got 100 pieces now.
I tried repeat the render with basic shape with and without shade smooth , and again with bevel and with subdivide (x3)…
the result i guess its not scientific (only with cpu btw) , but it was quite surprising , its about the same system load and about the same time to finish when use shade smooth or bevel edges ,in something between 5-10% . and the trick with the subdivide was the worse in more than 20% time , and the system almost halt …
I must say that its look the best with the subdivide ,but it was also the highest effort to fix the shape to be right.
I must say bevel edges is the winner for me . :yum:

1 Like

You are still looking at very low demand rendering.Full scenes with textures reflections transparency, particles make a big difference. They made Eevee for a reason, things like game engines need to render lots of frames per second! Hence restricted poly counts. Let alone getting a rough and ready preview of anything you are making without having long waits for very low samples even in the rendered view. My 2.7 rabbit section lecture took 18 hours to render with my machine 100% flat out.

Not sure what the ‘ask’ was here though.

There is no real need to do the chess set in low poly, it will not stress most machines. It is part of learning to walk before running I suspect, of a full course rather than a tutorial on how to make a chess set. Many people make both a low and higher poly version at the same time doing that section.

1 Like

Hey, The ‘ask’ was about lecture 74 on course , Michel shows other ways to to make low poly look great .
And lectures before he explain why we do need to make the module as simple as possible .
And its exactly what im asking , he covered 3 ways to make it look good ,which really did the job ,but i found that all 3 ways gives same waste of rendering power same as high poly .
Soooo we did learned many wonderful new options , and i like it ,but why we need the Subdivide option on low poly if its so wasteful ?
Sorry for my English btw and if i wasn’t so clear

1 Like

Lecture 75 is general information about ways to increase to high poly. It was more demonstration and introduction to subdivide. You are right that there is little need for it to make a low poly chess set. Go through more of the course, see subdivision in use more, it is very commonly used, you are probably worrying too early about details of why it is an option, and when to use it. You will pick that up as you go on through the course and by practice work.

Subdivide helps reduce viewport render times. Plus in big polygon meshes even the simple working render can lag, depending on your computer capabilities. That is why there are two numbers to alter. The render subdivisions, and the viewport subdivisions. If your render subdivision is say 2 higher than the viewport, you know looking at the viewport it will render out in a final full render considerably higher poly, smoother. But it renders faster in the viewport for studying for errors, or other things you might not want to find out only after waiting hours for a full render.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms