Removing Doubles Issue Lesson 22

I was not able to remove the doubles as in Lesson 22 with the default settings.

I had to set the merge distance to 0.01 m (in the Remove Doubles operator panel that appears in the lower left when you select the Remove Doubles command) for it to work.

Is this the best way to take care of this issue?

Remembering that if it gets the job done there is no ā€œwrongā€ way to do it, the method you used is usually the easiest. A word of caution though, setting the merge distance to high will have detrimental effects on your overall mesh if you are trying to remove doubles from the whole thing at once.

A better option, at least when you are looking at more than a couple millimeters, would have been to the snapping function to get your vertices together and then remove doubles. Remember, merging the verts causes one or more of them to move and 1 cm is a lot of warp in a flat surface.

Thanks! I was not sure of the smallest setting. Whatever the default is will not remove the double vertices. I will keep trying with the snapping function and see if I can get that to work. Iā€™m happy to learn best practices. Thanks again.

CR

I would like to add to this, in case somebody else has that issue and also something I noticed:

I had the same issue and redid the challenge 3 times to see what was it.

What I noticed was that when I did the challenge the first two times, I created the UV sphere in Object mode and then did the edits but then I went into object mode again, created the cylinder and had 2 objects in the Scene Collection and then I ran into this issue.

I managed to delete the vertices just as Ben said, by creating the cylinder WHILE being in Edit mode and following the rest of the process. And on Scene Collection, there will only be one object which should be the sphere.

1 Like

Hey there,

I have similar problem. When I select vertices and itā€™s showing me that there are 8 selected, I press to delete doubles but it is telling me that 0 doubles were deleted. I have tried changing merge distance to 0.01m but it didnā€™t help. Maybe itā€™s a bug in 1.80 beta?

1 Like

I was having a similar issue because I was returning to object mode before adding the cylinder. If you do this, when you go back into edit mode it will only select one objectā€™s set of vertices so there are no double vertices selected to remove. The solution is to remain in edit mode (after you have deleted the lower portion of the sphere) and then add the cylinder from within edit mode. Now the vertices will overlap and you can remove them using the technique demonstrated in the video. Iā€™m sure there is another solution to this but I am new at this program and this is what worked for me.

1 Like

This is good discussion, I am learning a lot. In some views I am still trying to understand the ā€˜deleteā€™ vertices, as you may not see anything happen.

I was having a similar issue because I was returning to object mode before adding the cylinder. If you do this, when you go back into edit mode it will only select one objectā€™s set of vertices so there are no double vertices selected to remove. The solution is to remain in edit mode (after you have deleted the lower portion of the sphere) and then add the cylinder from within edit mode. Now the vertices will overlap and you can remove them using the technique demonstrated in the video. Iā€™m sure there is another solution to this but I am new at this program and this is what worked for me.

This pretty much, I even tried downloading the latest 2.8 version, didnā€™t work.

just add the cylinder while still in edit mode, than youā€™ll be able to remove the double vertexes, though youā€™ll need to set it to 0.1m from my experience.(in the bottom left)

1 Like

I have found a solution. In the object mode, first select the semisphere and the cylinder, right click and select ā€˜joinā€™ to make them one object. Then the ā€˜merge by distanceā€™ would work

Privacy & Terms