Remove Doubles changed. Read to find alternative method

In the task where we have to combine half a sphere and a cylinder to create one object, you may have noticed that the “remove doubles” in edit mode isn’t anywhere to be found. There is a relatively simple workaround to this as follows:

1. Return to object mode
  2. Select both objects
  3. Use the ctrl + k command to join the two objects
  4. Return to edit mode
  5. Select the doubled vertices (remember to use wireframe/show s-ray mode to select all doubles)
  6. Merge vertices by distance. This can be found by going into the “vertex” drop-down menu or by simply using ctrl + m and selecting “merge by distance”.

Note: You may notice that the distance will not be able to go to zero once you type it in and press enter. Don’t worry about this as it will still remove the double vertices.

1 Like

“remove doubles” IS NOW CALLED “Merge vertices by distance”.

point 5. How do you know in complex mesh which vertices can be merged?
So press ‘a’ to select all. And let the “Merge vertices by distance”, the ‘distance’ do it’s job.
That’s why it’s called “Merge vertices by distance”, instead of “remove doubles”.

4 Likes

When I merge by distance, I get “Removed 0 vertices”, but when I flip back into Object Mode, they’re still two separate objects that can be moved independently.

You can not “Merge by distance” on two objects!
The function works only on the object in EDIT mode. Because it is an VERTICE function, for working with vertices.

If you have two object, which you want “merge”, you need the function JOIN. Which combines two objects into one single object. When you edit this object, then you have the problem of multiple vertices on the same spot.
Then with the function “Merge by distance” you can MERGE (double) VERTICES!

To join two or more objects, select them and press Ctrl+j.

3 Likes

Yup. I didn’t realize that you can Add>Mesh in Edit Mode. Thanks!

The remove double vertex idid not fount it in vertices module, and trying many times to connect tow objects by merge vertices not work fine .

Please read the whole forum chat!
See FedPete earlier.

Dear fedpete
Still not get it , please if have any tips show me for that .

best regard

try to use these tips.

and what is the command to split vertices you merged?
rip isnt working

Which of the the three ‘rips’ you’re refering too?

Also, update Blender!

I had a bit of trouble with this too. I tried several times to get the merge vertices to work without success. After a few attempts and reading through the steps it dawned on me that I wasn’t in vertices mode. Once I clicked on vertices it removed doubles as intended. So, my kindred noobs, make sure you are in vertices mode before you remove doubles :smile:

1 Like

Made another discovery. When doing the dome challenge at first I was getting the same 0 vertices remove info. I started increasing the distance for the merge (a small window opens once alt-m is pressed) and the number of vertices removed climbed. I noticed it went to 16 vertices removed, then something like 25 and on as I increased the distance. After going back to 16 vertices and hitting enter my tower was as I wanted it to be. Hope this ramble helps.

2 Likes

same issue here :slight_smile: @FedPete Does that mean vertices weren’t close enough to be marged?

1 Like

same issue here :slight_smile: @FedPete Does that mean vertices weren’t close enough to be marged?

Yes, and that isn’t really an issue, it’s working as intended. If your vertices aren’t close enough, they’re not going to be merged. The default distance is looking for vertices that are practically on top of each other; if you think you have vertices in the same place but Merge By Distance isn’t doing anything, they might not be where you think they are. E.g. from a top view, two vertices might look like they share the same location, but could have different locations on the Z axis.

As above, you can increase the Merge By Distance distance, which will start merging vertices a little further away. This seems to have its uses (I used it today to clean up some messy geometry), but before fiddling with the distance variable you should check why it’s not merging and ensure that your vertices are where you think they are.

1 Like

You can also select a bunch of vertices and do on that group a merge. To avoid problems with others, non selected vertices.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms