Remote Host Identification Has Changed (SSH)

git --no-optional-locks -c color.branch=false -c color.diff=false -c color.status=false -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree push -v --tags github refs/heads/master:refs/heads/master
Pushing to ssh://github.com/Lou109/Turn-_Based-_Strategy_Course.git
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:uNiVztksCsDhcc0u9e8BujQXVUpKZIDTMczCvj3tD2s.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users/louisecollins/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending RSA key in /Users/louisecollins/.ssh/known_hosts:3
Host key for github.com has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
Completed with errors, see above

I got this when pushing from source tree to github the other day. I looked on YouTube but nothing is working. I really need some help here. Apparently it’s due to an update made on 24th March 2023

Github has changed their security model and you need to generate a key from github itself. I can’t help much more than that because I don’t use the ssh security on github, but here is a link to some info

Also, this is not a Unity question. You may get more answers if you change the tags to a more relevant one

1 Like

awe thankyou so much for this information

Do i have to use SSH on github if im using a Mac ? just im finding this all very confusing tbh.

Sorry, missed this. I don’t have a mac, but I am almost 100% sure there won’t be a reason you have to use SSH. Once you created a personal key, this is the password you need to give to git when it asks. This is not the password you use to log into github, just when interacting via the git system.

I don’t have the git course (also not sure if this is what you are working on) but perhaps the course will need a note or something regarding the new authentication model

1 Like

The course doesn’t cover SSH as far as i know unless they have updated the course recently. I have the course but had to work out how to create the SSH key myself which i found to be quite a challenge at the time. This update has now messed up my work flow. There is no step by step guide. I dont understand what i am actually supposed to do.

Here’s what I found (I’m sure you probably already looked at this)

1 Like

yes i will just keep trying till i get there thanks

Nothing seems to work. Could i just use http instead as im completly sick of SSH. I follow commands and just says doesn’t recognise.

https://www.hostdime.com/kb/hd/linux-server/fixing-ssh-remote-host-identification-has-changed-warnings

This worked for me

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms