[Released] Multiplayer Course for Unreal Engine 4

Hi!

I would love to see a multiplayer RTS game (kept simple of course) on this course!
There is not a lot of tutorials for RTS games out there.

I know it can sound dumb but some chess multiplayer should be great too and i think should be easy to do(?)

When will the Multiplayer course be released? and will it be in Unreal or Unity? Also, I have been wanted to see a full game commercial ready course. Instead of having a course with multiple small projects, what about one course with one project. When the student will learn to make one full game with a few levels and some cutscenes. Whether itā€™s in Unity or Unreal, wi love to see that course.

I would like to see rather than covering the many modes of an fpsā€¦ why not include how to handle various scenarios like moving an object? or the challenges of handling physics in a multiplayer and how best to do it.

possibly focus on social as well as the game side of it so a friends list, reporting bad behaviour.

As per the game side, Ad-hoc, split screen, server based server first, server based client first. streaming various cameras to people who want to watch the game in progress. Mixer/Twitch integration.

possibly including how to make a server based UI to support your game and issue bans etcā€¦

We were just designing this today. Two possible sections have been prototyped. Distribution via itch.io, with connection via Steam has been solved by @sampattuzzi. Once the prototypes are finalised weā€™ll be recording in August for an initial release Sept / Oct.

Yup, very excited to start getting the first video recorded.

1 Like

I donā€™t see a lot of other people caring whether or not it is Unreal or Unity, but there are already a TON of resources out there for Unity, and I personally would prefer to learn how to make a networked multiplayer game with Unreal. I like UE4, but I have struggled to find helpful resources for learning.

@ben and @sampattuzzi I know you guys said you were prototypingā€¦ Are you thinking of using one engine over the other?

Hello Sampattuzzi, when do you think the course will be finished and published?

This is a big ā€œHell yeah!ā€ for me. Iā€™ve been coding server software for long enough I could bludgeon together a game server is I really had to, buuuut it seems to me UE4 has its own way of doing this, and its better to go with a framework than reinvent wheels.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

(not sure how to vote :smiley:)

Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Iā€™m afraid I will have to give the answer ā€œWhen itā€™s readyā€. But rest assured, itā€™s starting soonā€¦

We figured that too. Furthermore, thereā€™s lots on how to do unreal networking in Blueprint but almost nothing for C++. So guess which one we will be teaching?

1 Like

Will this be a whole separate course or will this be an addition to The Unreal Engine Developer Course - Learn C++ ā€¦

Fantastic. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I will buy said course ASAP.

I suggest to inlcude creating a voice chat system in the multiplayer course. Communication is key in multiplayer, and I have really no clue how to approach this. thanks!

What kind of multiplayer are you going to teach?

1. hot seat - at one computer
  2. local network
  3. Client - server, so all trajectory and hit calculations are on server side
  4. MMO
  5. smth else

I am particularly interested in Client - server or MMO.

During the Q&A on Discord, Ben talked about a platformer game when you need to use cooperative skills to reach the end of a level. He said they will use dedicated servers. I think he talked about LAN as well, not sure though.

He talked a little bit about the different variations with everything on the server or everything on the client and hybrid. Iā€™m not sure if they will show everything in the course.

Unreal Engine is really built around client-server. However, as a server can also be a client, we will be teaching some peer-to-peer and LAN as well as Steam multiplayer.

Waiting for the course :smiley:
Are there any early access provisions ?

Privacy & Terms