[Released] Multiplayer Course for Unreal Engine 4

Hello everyone, I know that a Unreal Engine Multiplayer course will be soon be on its way. This thread is more of a suggestion thread for the course.
I would love to see all the types of multiplayer modes covered:

1. Competitive Multiplayer: Death-match mode. And a King of Hill type.
  2. Co-op Multiplayer: It could have both split screen multiplayer and online.

Well we could build small games around these ideas. Or use the existing UE4 course games as a base. Everyone can download them and work on.

I guess it can be a good starting point. Any other suggestions?

Edit 1: Based on the comments

1. Team Game Mode: CTF, and how handle tracking each player individually.
  2. Steam Integration: Friend list, achievement, in game chat.
  3. Providing a basic framework which can be used in other games.
49 Likes

I’m concerned less with the game modes since really making one game mode is essentially the same as making another, you’re just tweaking variables and conditions and that would likely better fit in another lesson on making game modes. Maybe cover how to create a team based game mode like CTF since it would be nice to learn how to handle tracking each player individually etc. DM and KOTH are pretty much the same and once we learn how to code a proper team based system, we’ll know how to handle the rest.

What I’d really like to see from a multiplayer course though is FULL Steam integration including friends list, achievements, etc. How to create a server browser and an in-game chat system, how to replicate character movement and anything else across a network to make sure it works in MP. Also tips on anything that would traditionally be more complicated to handle.
Finally I’d like to know how you can set up this framework to be used in other projects… how do we add it to our UE4 Vault and set it so we can “Add to project” if that’s possible.

6 Likes

I second that.

Also, I think there is a difference between handling synchronization of stuff in a shooter compared to something like a strategy game. The course could focus on the general stuff first and the have a section that goes into some specific details and issues for common genres.

1 Like

Honestly, I’d love for a multiplayer course for Unreal engine. I’d prefer it to be focused on a shooter and maybe include setting up a simple lobby for users to chat in before a match starts? Whichever the case, I’d purchase the course the second it would come out.

1 Like

This is a great topic. My preference here would be to use socket.io or something like that for multiplayer rather than an out-of-the-box tool. That would probably attract too narrow of an audience to be feasible.

There are almost no multiplayer tutorials out there for anything. Seeing as there are a lot of great URT4 tutorials here, I think a multiplayer tutorial for URT4 would just make sense

+1- a fully fledged UE4 networking course would be incredibly useful.

-Basic game mode (shooter with teams would work well)
-Dedicated server setup including finding lobbies, voting for maps, playing matches and exiting back to the lobby loop. (Using current services such as Amazon GameLift and Gamesparks)
-Bonus could have Steam integration with support for inviting friends to play on the same team. (Common request)

Most basic replication concepts can be found for blueprints online but getting a networked UE4 game to an actual dedicated server with a working server browser is another story. Having it all explained with C++ would be greatly beneficial as this topic is one of the least covered UE4 topics around due to the difficulty.

I personally would really like to see a multiplayer networking course for Unreal. The Unity course has one and it would be useful as I would rather make multiplayer games in unreal 4 as I think it is a way better engine personally…

Since this is coming, the focus of this topic should be what you want it to include

Tagging @ben to confirm that’s statement.

Sure, we’d love to open this discussion. @sampattuzzi and I are starting to design the multiplayer course in the next few weeks.

6 Likes

Yes, I looking for multiplayer tutorial as well. This is my idea what I looking for:
Local network multiplayer, very simple with auto-connect option in case if there 2 computers running in the same network and looking for each other to play the game and share the score. Competition. I was thinking to create game for 2 kiosks and run in race mode.

i loved to hear that :slight_smile:

I want a course like this.
learn to make a entire multiplayer game project!

I would love to see a racing game with multiplayer!!!

1 Like

WOW, nice idea and exactly same as me
Thanks to All our Lecturer and Student even the staff to give a hand of us
Thanks alot ~~
Really Thanks Lecturer Ben

Since i planning to create a multiplayer game for my FYP(final year project) in soon
I hope this section of course can release early and gave help for all

if can, can teaching us how to add dedicated server in the game too.

In conclusion, thank you so much of all and sorry for the broken english.
i hope the day come asap ~~ hahaha
Thanks ~~:joy:

I’d love to see a 4-player Splitscreen/Network Kart racing game. @JoshyOnPCin4080p

It’s not too difficult gameplay-wise to implement, and can focus solely on the multiplayer part. Maybe as a starting project to get into the subject.

A Shooter would be great for the netcode stuff (keeping the hitbox accurate over multiple systems)

As someone who just finished a 4 month multiplayer project with TDM and CTF (A weird variant) with steam API integration in UE4, I would definitely vote this idea up. There is so much involved in a multiplayer or a co-op game that most people don’t even realize. None of were highly experienced with UE4 at the time and knew Unity fairly well. However, this is something that needs coverage and more of it. To many tutorials that are out there don’t really go into what and why something needs replication. Why you have to basically program everything twice. (even if you use modular functions you still need to set them up twice in most cases). It’s not as simple as just dropping in a new player controller.

1 Like

Really want to see some multiplayer-action in Diablo-like-games. :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear this is going to be created!

What I’d really like to see:
Networking player inputs (character movement, commands etc)
Setting up game rooms (think custom games from starcraft II or warcraft III)
Setting up match making (click play, server finds players and creates a lobby and hosts a match)

Also are there any out of the box 3rd party solutions purchase/editable on the unreal marketplace that would be good?

Assuming this would all be dedicated servers and not player hosted (to help prevent cheating / lag advantages).

Bonus topics would be stuff like which data to be server side to minimize possibility of player cheating (for RTS type games).

Hey, did this course come out yet?
If so would love if someone could drop a link to it!

Privacy & Terms