Regular Collab / Showcasing of Work

There is community run collaboration event which runs, it used to be weekly and monthly, I think the timeframes may have changed now, but, and this goes out to everyone of course, do consider taking part. It is a great way to get valuable feedback and ideas from other members of our community, and, like your work above David, it can be really inspiring for others to see to.

Try searching the forum for “blender collab” and you should see numerous topics with the work that others have done, if you take a look at the most recent ones you should be able to see who is currently participating. There is usually a theme for each event, it used to be that whoever got the most likes for their piece of work then chose the theme for the next event etc, and so on.

Just a thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

Due to lack of participation, the collab hasn’t been running since the end of January. It’s too bad because it was a great way to get better with Blender. It wears one down to participate in each one and since participation was low to begin with, people moved on. With the proper support, it could start back up again though.

2 Likes

Aww, I’m sorry to hear that - it was a fantastic way of showing off what everyone was working on.

Nixe - in your opinion, what would be the proper support to fire things back up?

2 Likes

I like the idea of this. But unfortunately with my job and an abundance of other hobbies and things to learn for my job, I wouldn’t necessarily have time to participate to a specific brief.

For me personally something with a more laid back approach would be better suited. For example, instead of a theme/brief it could just be a monthly or quarterly showcase of work that people have done as a part of their job, as a part of a course or as a personal project? Also, maybe a thread to get critique on current projects from other students and the experts would be useful for some, moving away from technical and more into the creative side of things.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve always thought that if Michael ran it people would be clamoring over each other to show him what they’ve made. XD

I like David’s idea of a laid-back approach. The idea of a contest never really appealed to me, I’m more a participant than a winner.

Proper support would be someone who can run it rain or shine whether it has participants or not, it also wouldn’t hurt if they bumped it to remind people as the deadline drew nearer. Dedication would be key to keep it running. Also, clear directions of participation are important. I know it was changed in the end, but it ran for a while where people didn’t know when submissions were due by. I always wondered if participation was low because others weren’t sure if they were allowed to participate. I know some people came in asking first. An invitation and directions of how it operated included with the creation of each new thread would have been helpful for new participants.

A welcoming atmosphere would be important to get new people to join in, like inviting people involved in the course, invite those from the other Blender course too. It should feel like a safe place where those participating can do so without the fear of being attacked or criticized by others. Common courtesy is important too.

I always felt that the weekly format was excessive. It left no time to work on other projects unless the submission was small or stylized. Yet I’ve seen monthly formats fail as well, this was not the first. Quarterly might be a good alternative, but it would need reminder bumps so it wouldn’t be forgotten.

I found the voting system counter-productive. The same people would win often, there is no fun to it if one is constantly winning. I still stand by the idea of picking winners at random using random number generation like the generator on random.org. To fast track the thread creation process, each submission can be submitted with a new topic for the next collab, that way when the winner is picked a new thread can be made right away with their topic instead of waiting for time zones to sync up.

Just my opinions. If anyone has anything to add it would be interesting to hear.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Nixe, it’s really good.

Couple of points on the things you’ve mentioned;

I’ve always thought that if Michael ran it people would be clamoring over each other to show him what they’ve made

I would agree, I think the thought of knowing one of the team, indeed the instructor of the course, looking over it all, would be really appealing to students, new and existing. I’m sure @Michael_Bridges would love to be able to do this, but I suspect the reason that this doesn’t perhaps already happen is just the pure volume of students and thus work/posts to effectively review. I can see how this could take a huge amount of time which, obviously, would then detract to a degree from the creation of new course(s)/material.

The idea of a contest never really appealed to me, I’m more a participant than a winner.

I was actually around at the inception of the collab thing, when @McFuzz (Sam) over-saw it. From the outset it wasn’t really about having a winner, that has transposed a little over time. The intention was that rather than having just one person pick a theme each week/month, each person who was participating would get a chance to determine a theme. That led into the how do we determine who chooses next discussion. Sam I believe did used to use a random selector thing to determine who would pick the theme next. Later I think this migrated to using the vote on the work you really like out of all of the entries concept, this may have been after Sam moved on, I can’t remember (it had been going for quite a while by then).

So, whilst there may have been a piece of work with the most votes, it wasn’t really intended as a “you are the winner” thing as such, just a method on determining who would choose the next theme, but I guess it may have turned into that. I always stood by the belief that it shouldn’t really be a “contest” as such because everyone will have different levels of experience and skill and as such it would be incredibly unbalanced, I also felt that if it were seen as a “competition” some students, new to the community, may not get involved because they may feel that they weren’t good enough. I think I did actually state in a reply (a long time ago), that from my perspective everyone who takes part is a winner, gaining the confidence to show off what you’re working on is a big thing.

Proper support would be someone who can run it rain or shine whether it has participants or not, it also wouldn’t hurt if they bumped it to remind people as the deadline drew nearer.

That wouldn’t be impossible, but would invariably be community driven, and as such, that could lead to people dropping off from time to time.

I always wondered if participation was low because others weren’t sure if they were allowed to participate.

I often thought the same. When perhaps you see a group already established, even though the members of that little group changed periodically, it might look like its a closed-event etc.

An invitation and directions of how it operated included with the creation of each new thread would have been helpful for new participants.

That is something that I’m sure the team may be able to add as a mention / link etc via the course(s), and perhaps periodically via announcements - would need to check, but possible.

It should feel like a safe place where those participating can do so without the fear of being attacked or criticized by others. Common courtesy is important too.

Fully agree - I like to think that this forum/community provides that. I am not able to review every single post by everyone, but there is a reporting mechanism within the forum software for reporting any abuse. We have had bearly any issues here (that I am aware of) since it started - from what I can tell people are really supportive, helpful and friendly towards each other. I would suggest sometimes people dont always respond on certain topics because perhaps they dont feel that they are in a position to be of help, or should be passing any critique at an early stage in their own course progress, but of course everyone is welcome to and everyone’s thoughts/opinions can be really beneficial.

I always felt that the weekly format was excessive. It left no time to work on other projects unless the submission was small or stylized. Yet I’ve seen monthly formats fail as well, this was not the first. Quarterly might be a good alternative, but it would need reminder bumps so it wouldn’t be forgotten.

This could be one of the challenging areas. Initially, I think it started off weekly, then it rang a monthly along side, then over time this transformed into the longer period. It’s a bit of a balancing act, not everyone is going to be able to commit if the deadline (for want of a better word) is too short, yet at the same time you want a deadline that does push people a little bit, often for their own good, so that procrastination perhaps doesn’t become an enemy. Of course people having different experience/skill levels may require more/less time also. On top of all of that, there’s RealLifeTM which gets in everyone’s way… :slight_smile:

Where a short period of time may work is with something like, everyone starts with a cube, you have one week - do something. The next week, take what you already have, build on it - and so on. Until it gets to a point where that one week just isn’t enough time and it gets bumped to a longer duration event or, you call it a day on that little project. That may work well for people new to Blender as they learn/experiment. It could also potentially work without a theme as well as with one. I make a plant, you make a car etc, doesn’t matter, we have both made something from that initial cube in one week and show it.

As the durations get longer I think it becomes easier to be less commital with these events, not initially by desire, but again because of real life and “stuff”, as that creeps in, time runs out, people may be like “there just isn’t enough time now” - where-as of course there was at the beginning. That is really down to the individual, as, even with reminders, notifications, bumping topics and as much encouragement as could be thrown at people, sometimes it just won’t be enough.

Quarterly is an interesting one, I wonder whether, rather than just a “see you in three months” approach, it could have people checking in more frequently with just a quick post on their progress to date. That may work better than just a nudge/reminder, as there is still that loose expectation of us all getting to see something that has been worked on.

I found the voting system counter-productive. The same people would win often

Yeah, and of course if its based purely on “how good” something looks, it doesn’t necessarily take into account all of the challenges and hurdles the individual may have overcome to get to where they got to. I made a snowman recently, I’m fairly confident it’s awful, but for me it was the first thing I made with Blender. I had to learn how to use the few tools that I used in order to create what I created. For me, that was a significant success, but posted next to someone else’s work who made a collesseum for example, mine little entry is going to perhaps look a bit poor! :smiley: (I like my snowman!)

A thought that did occur to me was to use something like “Word of the Day” and then extrapolate a theme from that word at the relevant time for the next event, or, perhaps rather than having any form of “random” or “voting” or “picking of themes”, if the event was over-seen (over-sawn?) by someone, they could just post up a list of themes for the next 12 months, in one main topic. Job done.

Even if there are some themes on the list that people are less comfortable with, or like less, it could be a creativity challenge for them, and a few months later they may get a theme they really like a lot. It would be impossible to please everyone, all of the time.

I can schedule the publication of topics on the forum, so potentially, these could be setup in the background and would then just “appear” which could help with a bit of the management of it all.

Anyhoo, just some thoughts based on your excellent feedback - as you mentioned, if anyone else has anything to contribute it would be great to hear.

4 Likes

Hi guys. Even though I’m a bit late, I’d like to offer first hand experience about the weeklies and how I think we could revive it.

My theory for why the weeklies sort of disipated is due to the Bi-weekly formula. Whilst that in itself is not a bad idea, a lack of frequent posts led to it falling down in the post list, as mentioned above. The other, and most damning factor I believe, was the topics that were being picked. It is okay to be passionate about something, and to try and share that passion with someone else, but not everyone is going to show up to do a model for “carpet” or “favourite mossy rocks”.

Actually a mossy rocks theme sounds kind of cool.

Anyway, I have a new idea for topic picking; taking topic suggestions from everyone and putting them in a table to be voted on, and then the topic with the most votes is the one that gets selected. This removes a ‘winner’ as such and becomes less about one person controlling (and relying on their timely posting) and more about a central admin managing suggestions without electing a “This model is the best one and all others are inferior” post.

I think that the best way to get the entirety of the community involved is to create a “Weekly Blender Collab” section on the Discord, as it has an incredible amount of active posters of all skill levels. This may even relate to creating a separately managed Discord server for cataloguing, managing, and sharing amongst students.

If it ever got this far, I would suggest 2 alternating bi weeklies at a time (Such as, one finishes and starts every second week, then the other starts half way through). This gives both the correct amount of time to work on something, and increases the likelihood of a topic being picked that all readers would like to participate in, however might lead in some people only choosing one of the two to enter, however I hope to circumvent this with the alternating pattern.

TL;DR

• The community to vote on a pool of suggestions, rather than a ‘winning’ model
  • Creating a Discord subsection/third party Discord to get more collaborators
  • Running 2 alternating bi-weeklies with different topics
2 Likes

I would be ecstatic to have some sort of weekly thing going on now. I’m doing a lot and learning a lot but I feel rather aimless right now. Having an idea thrown out there and seeing how everyone approaches it differently is fantastic. The fact that the events stopped not too long before I started is pretty sad.

I also think that with the recent sales on Udemy for the course that there still is a large enough audience for this (if not a bit inexperienced :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Anyway, I would DEFINITELY be participating if something like this would start up again. Count me in!

3 Likes

@Corune @NixeKnox @Rob @Michael_Bridges

Copy pasted from my Discord ad going around, but hey. Good news everyone :3

Hi guys. You may know me from the old weekly 3D galleries we used to run on the GameDev.tv forum. After a lot of support to bring these back to life, I have decided to bring this back to life in Discord form! I’ve started a new group with the goal of bringing the 3D galleries to life, with such appealing features as:

• Encouragement and inspiration to work on a 3D model, scene or animation in the form of a fortnightly theme
  • Voting on public topics chosen by you
  • Two concurrent alternating bi-weekly events to choose from, starting on Fridays and running for 2 weeks each.
  • Non competitive and helpful atmosphere
  • Artist chat group and help forum
  • Totally free and open to all skill levels!

I hope you drop by and participate in one of our events, which I hope to run for a much longer period of time, this time around.

1 Like

This is fantastic! It’s a bit late here now, but I’ll definitely be joining tomorrow. Thanks!

I’ll be collecting suggestions and announcing the first topic tomorrow morning :smiley:

2 Likes

Good luck with that.

I don’t use discord anymore. It’s too distracting. I’ll be sticking around here.

1 Like

That was my feeling for not using it too, not just with regards to Blender, but in general. Perhaps I’m just too old now, but I can’t keep up with the pace of flickering messages whizzing up the screen, plus the dialogue tends to be mixed rather than to one subject, like the topics on the forum.

1 Like

I don’t think age plays a part, it’s more catching a message that starts the scrolling to see what that person is talking about. It’s like seeing something shiny and looking around for it when there are better things to do. There is also the problem of 5 (or more) different conversations going on at the same time.

Anyway,

If anyone is interested in starting something here on the forum, I’ll leave this poll. Vote for what kind of time frame you’d be interested in. If there is enough interest, something may be put together.

• 1 Week
  • 2 Weeks
  • 1 Month
  • 3 Months (Quarterly)

0 voters

2 Likes

You could always do as I do and mute all your discord servers :smiley: For this one you only really need to dip into the weekly sub chat which so far has had 3 posts. The WIP and general chat can really be ignored.

1 Like

I’d be happy to participate in both. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms