Regarding problem with: "Profile modelling using mesh objects" lecture

Following the lecture, I can’t get the same results. If I set to fit curve, I only get a pair of the mesh objects, not a number scaling up the z axis.

And that’s just where it starts.

If I set array to fit curve and add a deform curve to it, I still just get those pair of meshes, but they’re now on the opposite side and reversed on the x axis, with all the origins and the cursor matching.

If I use Fixed count on the array modifier, I can have any number of meshes ascending properly. When I put in the deform curve modifier, it works, but it’s on the opposite side of the arch and again, reversed on the x axis.

I can use and work with this fine, and use it on my file, but I wanted to point out that for some reason the step by step in the lecture doesn’t work for me and I don’t know why.

I’ve tried it three times now, all with the same results, so I’m not sure what I’m missing.

Here’s a basic arched door way.

Here’s the curve I’ll be using to follow. I duplicate and separate, because if I don’t, I can’t convert the mesh to a curve in object mode. It won’t select it-no not even with multiple clicking-it’s as if I didn’t both duplicating. So I separate it and convert to a curve.

A basic brick pattern consisting of two mesh objects in one mesh.

This is all I get from array-fit to curve. No more than this.

With all my origins at the same location, and adding the deform curve modifier, this is what I get. You can’t tell, but it’s front to back reversed, as well as offset.

If I use fixed count and deform curve I get this…and it tracks in reverse.

Ending up with this result.

It’s front to back reversed, but I can rotate the curve so it comes out right side out.

I have no idea why the lecture doesn’t work for me, but if I do, it doesn’t work at all, and instead I’m left using a completely different (and somewhat backwards and inside out) method to get my door profile curve.

It’s not that it isn’t usable, it’s just that the lecture doesn’t seem to function for me at all.

1 Like

In case anyone else encounters this issue… I was having similar problems with only getting a few repeats of an array fit to curve. What fixed it for me was to swap the direction of the curve. If you look at in in edit mode, the curve has little barbs coming off it that show which direction it is going. In this case, the curve may be starting at the right side and heading leftwards. When this happens, it seems like Blender only puts segments in the array until it hits the first inflection point in the curve. Try switching the curve direction and see if it helps.

Privacy & Terms