Refection plane has no effects

Maybe it’s just me, but as far as I can tell, a reflection plane has no effects when it’s set up according to the lecture. I’m using blender 2.93.2.

Thanks

1 Like

General Q&A note
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side. On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups where they help.

To help others help you we need to see full information.

1 Like

Using a mirror modifier?
Or is it a material nodes setup problem?
Are you using Eevee or Cycles?

1 Like

If I remember correctly, I was using Eevee when testing about the reflection plane, and no mirror modifier was used at the time.

1 Like

Eevee isn’t Cycles. Totally different engines. Eevee build for speed. So reflection is turned off by default. These reflections, are options you need to switch on, using Eevee.

I think the use of the reflection plane was almost entirely as part of demonstrating the differences between the render engines. How Eevee is worse at reflections and needs extra things turned on to get close to proper render by Cycles.

It was good for a demonstration but perhaps rather a distraction in reality in the course.
Just personally I can’t think of any other time, in any other internet video I have seen one used for anything. Of course there will be some special situation where it has a good use.

You don’t need to “turn on” reflections in Eevee.

You DO need something for your plane to reflect though
By default, your scene is grey unless you add a HDRI environment so reflections won’t really be very visible because all it will reflect is the dark default grey of your scene.

You could add a HDRI or use the HDRI’s that come with blender.
To turn these on in the viewport, go to the top right of your viewport click the down arrow and turn off Scene World.

If you play with the roughness and move around in your scene, you’ll see your plane reflecting the HDRI environment.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms