Rectangular door way query

In the cathedral design that I have chosen, I have a few archways with 90degree corners within a curved wall (reference image inserted below).

I have copied the front profile of the wall segment and converted it to a curve. I used a profile that I had drawn as the Bevel Object in the Curve Object Data. I then altered the mean tilt and rotated the reference curve so that it follows the arch shape correctly. However, I can’t figure out how to fix the top corners. The shape pinches in at the corners, and I haven’t been able to work out an easy way to fix this.

I also tried bridging edge loops between a top profile section and the side and adding in a cut, but that didn’t work out either…

Has anyone had this challenge before, or know of a way to get around it?

Reference image:

1 Like

I would say; just follow the example used in the course.
Drifting off leads you into problems.
Now you need other skills, techniques to make this work.

Maybe trying to do everything in one object is not the way to go.
I would choose one bent beam and two columns as an approach.

Good luck, have fun!

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I’ll give the column and beam approach a try and maybe trim out the intersecting geometry…

I did create a more traditional arch shape as well, which worked out quite well.
I came back to this one after progressing a bit further with the lectures and wanting to add in some of the extra components, specifically the rounded domed area at the head of the cathedral.

Export of my scene with the archways:

2 Likes

A lot of people, want to create impressive works, after the first lessons.
But it’s better not to deviate too much from the lessons.
There is so much more to learn. And some concepts become easy with extra skills and knowledge.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms