Recommended Reading

I found the following books to be useful and interesting, so thought I would share. I discovered whilst reading them that the author, Steven Pressfield, was also the author of The Legend of Bagger Vance which became an awesome movie starring Will Smith.

The War of Art

Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles

ISBN : 9781936891023

Turning Pro

Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work

ISBN: 9781936891030

Do The Work

Overcome Resistance and get out of your own way

ISBN: 9781936891375

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Rob, I’ve only read one of these - I have 2 new items for me reading list.

1 Like

No worries.

I deliberately read them in order, but having done so, apart from the odd reference to other books, there wasn’t really any need to.

I think Turning Pro was probably my favourite out of the three, followed closely by Do The Work.

I haven’t always been a particularly big reader, but I found these easy to manage as they are not really long books and are broken up into easy to manage sections, which, considering the subject matter, really helped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this list of books. I like to read business literature. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I need to read classics (to Kill a Mockingbird) for my college project. I’m going to take some info from this resource https://studyhippo.com/essays-on/to-kill-a-mockingbird/ as I’ve found it interesting and useful. But, in general, I need to write everything by myself. So, these books are a good addition to my list must-read.

I would also add at least:

The subtle art of not giving a f*ck

The intro story alone makes this book worth it. Very important when you go head first into a huge new venture (making games)

As someone who’s constantly battling procrastination and self-doubt in my creative endeavors, “The War of Art” sounds like it could really hit home for me. And “Turning Pro” seems like the perfect follow-up once I’ve conquered those inner battles. “Do The Work” also sounds like just what I need to kick myself into gear. I’m especially intrigued by the idea of overcoming resistance, which is something I struggle with daily. I’m new to this forum, so thanks for the warm welcome into this awesome community! If anyone has more suggestions or wants to chat about these books, I’m all ears. Also, any game of thrones books fans here? I’m diving into those books soon and would love some insights or recommendations!

Privacy & Terms